Aperture import NOT WORKING

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Aperture import NOT WORKING

Postby SnappyMcGee » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 pm

I've tried this multiple, multiple times. But it just doesn't work. Not even close.

My Aperture library is 100% up to date. And (thankfully) Aperture still works for me. But I bought CO8 last summer, and have been importing all my NEW photos into it. Really making an effort to get to know the program.

And, well, last month I finally decided to "bit the bullet" and bring my Aperture library in. And, yes, I am aware of the limitations ;)

But I click "import from Aperture" and, 8 hours later, it "finishes" my 64,000+ images. But then Co8 crashes. Every time.

I try and open the catalog from startup. But it crashes.

I even repair the catalog. But it crashes.

…any ideas? I know it's a lot of photos, but one of the selling points for me, for CO8, was that it had similar "large library" handling capabilities.

Thanks in advance!
SnappyMcGee

Re: Aperture import NOT WORKING

Postby MartinGJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:20 pm

What you could try is divide your Aperture library in several smaller libraries i.e. one per year and see if that works.
I tried this with mine and had no problem.
Thanks and Regards,
Martin
MartinGJ

Postby SFA » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:33 pm

Make sure you have have tidied up the Aperture library as much as possible before attempting any import.

Databases can become very untidy internally. To give an import program a reasonable chance to do a good. clean, efficient job it makes sense to ensure that the file to me converted is in as good a state as you can make it before starting.

Grant
SFA

Postby SnappyMcGee » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:37 pm

I think I'm definitely going to try the "divvy" method.

Interestingly: I contacted support and they essentially said "yeah, 8.x doesn't do the import so well. You should try 9!" So I did, and it worked better. At least I can see my images. Although it is amazingly and painfully slow.

A bit bummed that I plunked $$ for 8, and essentially have to pay more $$ to just get this import to work. Which is kinda the only reason I bought 8 :(

PS, does anyone know how to VIEW the ERRORS on import? My (slow but seemingly successful) import had several hundred images that I had to SKIP. So I said SKIP ALL…and I'm now wondering how to find out what/where those problem images are?
SnappyMcGee

Return to Capture One 8.x Software