Suggestions for fixing neon colors with color editor

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Suggestions for fixing neon colors with color editor

Postby tdunk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi all- looking for some guidance in dealing with neon colors in fabric. The pinks and oranges seem to be the most troublesome. Was wondering if anyone had developed a successful way to adjust with color editor or another option I may have missed. Generally I will select with advanced color editor and usually +/- lightness, add saturation, and maybe a little hue rotation. Works ok but never really feel like it's bang on. Anyone have a better recipe? Thanks in advance.
tdunk

Re: Suggestions for fixing neon colors with color editor

Postby SFA » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:53 pm

I had a a shot of a car recently that was black/carbon fibre dark grey but with bright reflective orange stripes. The colour range in the Orange was most of yellow and red. Flash lit too - so very stand out.

Starting with a RAW file with a Linear curve made life a little easier. You may already have done that.

The "orange" colour range was so broad that a colour based mask was not a huge benefit (the colours were widely represented in the greys of the image) though it worked well enough selecting the colour. In the end I used a local painted mask for isolation for this particular shot.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby tdunk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Hmm didn't try the linear curve--thats a good idea. With some colors we will drop exposure by 2/3 and have editors comp the file in post. Trying to hit the colors on one exposure and one output file. Anyone else have other suggestions?
tdunk

Postby SFA » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:30 pm

tdunk wrote:Hmm didn't try the linear curve--thats a good idea. With some colors we will drop exposure by 2/3 and have editors comp the file in post. Trying to hit the colors on one exposure and one output file. Anyone else have other suggestions?

I would suggest trying V9 if you have not already done so. See it is gives you a little more leeway and additional options = Luma curve for example.

Grant
SFA

Postby tdunk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks Grant, 9 would be great but it is not my personal copy.
tdunk

Postby SFA » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:13 pm

tdunk wrote:Thanks Grant, 9 would be great but it is not my personal copy.

Ok, but you could still use the trial perhaps to check for possible benefits?

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 8.x Software