Naming on import with camera counter in 4 digit format

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Naming on import with camera counter in 4 digit format

Postby NNN634579324681874960 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:14 am

How can I set C1 8 to name my files using the 4 digit camera counter? I can't figure it out.

I do a lot of scouting and need to be able to reconcile my scouting notes, with camera counter, to my C1 files, but I can't find a way to make C1 use the camera counter. I can't even see how rename after import by choosing a start number.

My file naming convention is xxxxx(MyName)_YYMMDD_1234.CR2

Many thanks!
NNN634579324681874960

Re: Naming on import with camera counter in 4 digit format

Postby Christian Gruner » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:08 pm

The Camera Counter token can only be used when tethered, and only using Team Phase One digital backs, as this information is not available from the DSLR's.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby RichardT » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:51 pm

I wanted to be able to add a digit prefix to the 4-digit numbers produce by my Canon camera.

For example, inserting a "1" prefix in "IMG_4321.CR2" should produce "IMG_14321.CR2"

You can't do this on import, but you can do it using Batch Rename.

In the Batch Renaming dialog, change the method from "Text and Tokens" to "Find and Replace"

In the Find field enter "IMG_"

In the Replace field enter "IMG_1"

Click on the "Rename" button and all the filenames are converted as required.

Perhaps you could adapt this technique?

It would be useful if the "Find and Replace" method was also available in the Import dialog.

Richard
RichardT

Postby afx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:The Camera Counter token can only be used when tethered, and only using Team Phase One digital backs, as this information is not available from the DSLR's.

The Nikons have it...
Code: Select all
$ exiftool -g0 -D AS0_9374.NEF | egrep "File Number"
 11.1 File Number Sequence            : On
    4 File Number                     : 9374

So it is not a DSLR issue but C1 just ignores it.

And if C1 would have an OriginalName variable with modifiers the number could be extracted from it (Bibble/Aftershot has this).

cheers
afx
afx

Postby afx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm

RichardT wrote:It would be useful if the "Find and Replace" method was also available in the Import dialog.

Yes please!

cheers
afx
afx

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 am

afx wrote:
Christian Gruner wrote:The Camera Counter token can only be used when tethered, and only using Team Phase One digital backs, as this information is not available from the DSLR's.

The Nikons have it...
Code: Select all
$ exiftool -g0 -D AS0_9374.NEF | egrep "File Number"
 11.1 File Number Sequence            : On
    4 File Number                     : 9374

So it is not a DSLR issue but C1 just ignores it.

And if C1 would have an OriginalName variable with modifiers the number could be extracted from it (Bibble/Aftershot has this).

cheers
afx

Yep, but you are talking about looking into the file, I am talking what the camera sends to CO when connected to CO. These are 2 different things.
So yes, for renaming and so on, it could be dug out, but during tethered it is more "muddy" to do.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN634579324681874960 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Actually when tethered I'm not as bothered. The files go straight to the computer, I'm not referencing back to anything. It's when I've been shooting to a card, on location, making notes on the file name, and get back to the studio to download the card. I can get back to the hotel after a day's shooting of lifestyle or documentary and have 6K files on cards. That's a lot of files if I have to do a workaround! This is stuff that photojournalists do all the time - frames 5003-5027 show such and such a person etc. Lightroom has done this since inception, so it can't be rocket-science. As far as file naming goes, it should be pretty basic stuff.

Cheers!
Nick
NNN634579324681874960

Return to Capture One 8.x Software