Error message when starting C1 8 on Windows 10

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Re: Error message when starting C1 8 on Windows 10

Postby JUK » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Here ya go:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-disable-windows-update-in-windows-10-home/9edfd74a-a726-4ea5-bd50-745092da22fe?auth=1

Capture One 8 is not compatible with Anniversary edition/update, whatever you want to call it.

Your option is to either downgrade your operating system to standard Windows 10 or upgrade your software to Capture One PRO 9.

This is a chargeable upgrade where you can take advantage of upgrade pricing.
Kind regards,

Justin
Team Phase One Support

Please make a support case for technical support with Capture One software:
Http://support.phaseone.com and click on "Contact Support"

Connect with Phase One on our social media channels.
JUK
Crew
Crew

Postby NN635772735358360201UL » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Let me see if I understand PhaseOne on this issues, as a user that bought your software, I am to downgrade my OS or upgrade my software.
So no more security updates for my system leaving my system vulnerable to malware, viruses, rootkits, key-loggers and the list goes on. Or buy an upgrade for your product, at a special upgrade price. Can you tell me why on earth would I have to pay you to fix a bug that exist is your product cause guess what older versions of Lightroom still works and if your going to force me to upgrade because your programmers left a NULL value somewhere in the code that should never have been there. For as much as I prefer C1 I would rather pay for a product that I know I'll have the use of for a few years (3-5).
So if my only option is to upgrade then this is the first and last product from PhaseOne that I will ever buy. So Lightroom here I come!
NN635772735358360201UL

Postby NN635661964762113355UL » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:55 pm

When I log into My Page I'm told I can't upgrade and will have to pay 279 EUR.

Any chance of a more sensible price to keep a customer?
NN635661964762113355UL

Postby daffy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:50 pm

JUK wrote:Capture One 8 is not compatible with Anniversary edition/update, whatever you want to call it.

Allow me to help out with a link to the Capture One 8.3.4 release notes: http://downloads.phaseone.com/Capture%2 ... s-c3d2.pdf

These release notes claim as Microsoft® Windows® minimum requirements: "Windows 7® SP1 64-bit, Windows 8® 64-bit, Windows 10® 64-bit"

As it happens, I am running, this very moment, Windows 10 Home (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]). And Capture 8.3.4 does not launch.

Lets not beat around the bush: PhaseOne do not want to spend money on addressing an issue in Capture One 8.3.4. Logically understood, but not accepted.

Apparently the issue is understood (Capture One 9.x has it fixed, apparently), so the fix is dirt cheap and the QA cycle should be very short.

Alternatively, simply retarget to a .Net framework level (via manifest) which will work - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 8(v=vs.110).aspx
daffy

Postby Jim_DK » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 pm

NN635661964762113355UL wrote:When I log into My Page I'm told I can't upgrade and will have to pay 279 EUR.

Any chance of a more sensible price to keep a customer?

NN635661964762113355UL,

Your key is "for Sony" not the full blood Pro which is the upgrade you are looking at.

Make sure you are upgrading "Pro 8 for Sony to Pro9 for Sony" to get the best price.
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Stor ... rades.aspx
James
Phase One DK
Jim_DK
Crew
Crew

Postby d_e » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 pm

I'm glad that I'm not the only user finding this stance of P1 unacceptable. It's also notable that this is the only application I'm aware of that no longer works after this Windows 10 update.

I will try to re-install my OS and try to block the update.

This was probably the last time I bought anything from PhaseOne, or recommend CaptureOne. Great software, awful support.

Jim: Your knowledge base (https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Arti ... cleid=1701) still states that Windows 10 64 Bit is supported. This is obviously not true. At least, please fix your documentation.
d_e

Postby pf234 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:14 pm

This is just unbelievable.

Here's the thing.
If Capture One 9 was really that better than Capture One 8 people would have paid for it.
A 'stupid' HDR merging multiple exposures feature would be more than enough to make everyone want to change (which, you know, there are tons of software doing that since, like, ever...)
Have that in mind, please. ;)

So, right now Microsoft updated their OS, which will happen many times in the future and you are telling that you can't just make a small fix for the previous version of your software? Are you kidding?

It really really really (and I'm really stressing REALLY) will make you look bad.

Here's another point of view that will probabbly help you understand this situation better.
I bought my license for Capture One 8 because your program is wonderful and it states that it is compatible with Windows 10. That means it must be, ALWAYS, compatible with Windows 10, because the 'aniversary edition' is nothing but an update. Yes, it's a big update. It's like the Service Packs in the past. But we are still running Windows 10, we bought the software because we knew we had an OS that is compatible with it and now you are saying: no, you can't keep you computer safe and updated or you'll have to pay us to fix that problem.

I UNDERSTAND that you did not create this problem. Microsoft did. I don't know what changed and, honestly, I don't really care. All I care is your software which I bought a few months ago just broke after my system got updated. It's just silly.

So please, understand, I really love Capture One. I've been using it a lot (not so much in last one or two months) but I have a ton of images that I have to add to the catalog and edit them and right now I just can't do it.

Going back to the 'non aniversary' Windows 10 is not an option! It's not something that is optional. The aniversary update is a natural update that is supposed and was already installed on hundreds of millions of computers to keep them safe and ready for the future.

So, I'm waiting for a patch for Capture One 8.3.4.
Right now I'm going on holidays so when I come back I will need to have this working again.
If you can't fix this then I really don't know if I can't trust a company that doesn't help their costumers when they should and I will not give you any more of my money nor promote your product (which will be really sad since you have a wonderful software).

Think about it.
pf234

Postby d_e » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:42 pm

JUK: I'm unable to apply your suggested workaround. The update does not show up in the troubleshooter tool.
http://imgur.com/a/b53eu

Any ideas?

Again: Your support documents state that Windows 10 64 Bit is supported. The documents also say that these are the "Minimum System Requirements". My installation meets your criteria, yet the software does not work. Please fix it.
d_e

Postby d_e » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:39 pm

The reason for the crash is the following lines in P1.C1.Program.Main()

Code: Select all
field = typeof (BitmapImage).Assembly.GetType("MS.Internal.MemoryPressure").GetField("_totalMemory", BindingFlags.Static | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
if (field != (FieldInfo) null)
    field.SetValue((object) null, (object) -4611686018427387904L);

which was probably copied straight from StackOverflow. P1 developers here try to access internal/non-public data (WHICH IS NOT PUBLIC FOR A REASON) and meddle with it. THIS IS NOT MICROSOFTS FAULT!

The problem now is that in .NET 4.6.2 the class MS.Internal.MemoryPressure was removed (see here: http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#PresentationCore/Core/CSharp/MS/Internal/MemoryPressure.cs leads to a 404). The P1 devs never bothered to check whether they could successfully retrieve the type itself. A single "?." instead of the "." would solve the problem. Is it really THIS hard to change a single line and redistribute the app?

Will think about an easy workaround tomorrow.
d_e

Postby FirstName » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 am

I opened a ticket on both C1 account for C1 8 Pro and Microsoft community.
What I asked microsoft is to allow Win 10 to run compatibility mode that would allow a certain .net environment.
So I suggest search my post in Microsoft community: NullxceptionReference... win 10 anniversary update/ software/ capture one or newer: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0376733859

For myself, c1 8 pro was functional before the 2/8/2016 anniversary update.
I deferred upgrade for now on one machine, but over time, 10 v. 1607 will be pushed through.
I can roll back temporarily to 1511, on the main desktop, a get back the Pro version.

It would be helpful if PhaseOne team would intercede with Microsoft in asking to make windows
forcing to keep previous .net environment in the system for to run compatibilty mode when associate with C1 8.

This could be the simplest solution, also suggest push it in Microsoft community and increase the demand.

making it your own or else. :oops:
FirstName
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby d_e » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:22 am

Here's a bugreport for the .NET framework:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3014559

I patched C1 8 yesterday. It works now fine on my machine. It's literally a single-character code fix. But I don't think I can share my workaround, because to make it work I had to remove the licensing stuff.

It's pathetic that PhaseOne support is unaware of how Windows 10 works, unwilling to provide proper support and fix something that is so easily fixed.
d_e

Postby John Doe » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:55 am

If it's really that simple then my opinion is there's no reason for Phase One not to issue a fix, in order to keep their PROMISE of a Windows 10 compatibility.

If they don't react, then maybe you should post the issue on a large-audience forum such as dpreview, to put a bit of pressure on them.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby daffy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:01 pm

d_e wrote:I patched C1 8 yesterday. It works now fine on my machine. It's literally a single-character code fix. But I don't think I can share my workaround, because to make it work I had to remove the licensing stuff.

There are some frameworks out there which support code injection and runtime patching for .Net - they are all based on Mono Cecil, as far as I can tell, but allegedly operational perfectly fine on Microsoft Windows. Ihttp://reflexil.net/ might be a good starting point.

My days for doing that kind of thing have been over for a while now, but I guess with a bit of infrastructure in place the dynamic injection part should be feasible within 10-20 hours of effort.
daffy

Postby daffy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:14 pm

[quote="d_e"]
Code: Select all
field = typeof (BitmapImage).Assembly.GetType("MS.Internal.MemoryPressure")[b].GetField[/b]

If you do daft things, at the VERY least cover your back.

What a shame.

I am seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY angered by the PhaseOne refusal to fix that atrocity of their own doing. Assuming that they are professional, they'd have archived the virtual machine with the master build environment. And of course there is version control. And fully reproducible automated builds.

No?

Total effort required: 40 person hours _tops_, until it ends up as having been released into all distribution channels.

Total cost (at Danish wages) - at the very most USD / EUR 8000.

PS: I have no idea whether this would be compatible with the licensing scheme, but patching the Unicode string "MS.Internal.MemoryPressure" to a (shorter) name that in fact exists in the assembly of the BitmapImage type (PresentationCore.dll?) would get the type and simply safely(!) fail on introspection on the field retrieval. Spelunking with ILSpy / Reflector would quickly tell?
daffy

Postby d_e » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:20 pm

daffy wrote:PS: I have no idea whether this would be compatible with the licensing scheme, but patching the Unicode string "MS.Internal.MemoryPressure" to a (shorter) name that in fact exists in the assembly of the BitmapImage type (PresentationCore.dll?) would get the type and simply safely(!) fail on introspection on the field retrieval. Spelunking with ILSpy / Reflector would quickly tell?

For that to work you'd have to remove the strong name signing too. If you do remove the signing, you have to remove the licensing checks.
d_e

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 8.x Software