Error message when starting C1 8 on Windows 10

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Error message when starting C1 8 on Windows 10

Postby photastic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 am

hey everyone,

since a week or so, I get the following error when starting Capture One 8.3.4 Pro on my Windows 10 machine :

I tried uninstalling it completely (after uninstall also removed the folder from Program Files) but the same error applies.

I've opened a ticket but got no reply so far so trying here also...

Hopefully someone can help me out here...

Many thanks!
photastic

Re: Error message when starting C1 8 on Windows 10

Postby photastic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:47 am

For what it's worth, I just installed the Capture One 9 trial and that gave the same error...
photastic

Postby greger » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Did you find any solution to this? I just started experiencing the same thing.
Tried reinstalling C1, didn't help.
greger

Postby NNN635625480728217689 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Same problem here. I'm running the Insider preview build 14328. I have to replace my lost Sony RX100M3 and was considering another Sony, but if it's going to take months to fix this Windows 10 incompatibility, I may have to choose a different camera and software.
NNN635625480728217689

Postby SFA » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:21 pm

NNN635625480728217689 wrote:Same problem here. I'm running the Insider preview build 14328. I have to replace my lost Sony RX100M3 and was considering another Sony, but if it's going to take months to fix this Windows 10 incompatibility, I may have to choose a different camera and software.

Is the Insider preview build now a finalised release?

Maybe not a great idea to be running beta (? alpha?) software when making a decision about such matters.

Why not go back to the official MS release and see how you fare with that?

Grant
SFA

Postby John Doe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:02 pm

I totally agree. I swear I will never understand why some people insist on using beta versions in their production environment. Beats me.

Betas are what they are : unfinished, buggy versions, made for testing and not for using in a production environment.

Nor will I ever understand why publishers make them available to the general public. Betas should only be supplied to developers, IMHO.

Deciding on a different camera or RAW processor on the basis that it doesn't work with a beta version of your OS doesn't make any sense to me.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:12 am

On another point ....

C1 V8 has been replaced by V9 for all future developments.

If Microsoft decide to make Windows 10 incompatible with some applications that are really not that old I think they will have some serious problems persuading bulk users - large enterprise customers for example - to make the upgrade. It took them a long time to get rid of XP.

It is possible that some problems might be something simple like a driver that a third party will need to fix and they may do it but this one looks more like some MS compatibility issues in the MS components.

Grant
SFA

Postby AiDon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:40 am

SFA wrote:On another point ....

C1 V8 has been replaced by V9 for all future developments.

If Microsoft decide to make Windows 10 incompatible with some applications that are really not that old I think they will have some serious problems persuading bulk users - large enterprise customers for example - to make the upgrade. It took them a long time to get rid of XP.

It is possible that some problems might be something simple like a driver that a third party will need to fix and they may do it but this one looks more like some MS compatibility issues in the MS components.

Grant

Just to make it really clear there are absolutely no problems with the Windows 10 current release [Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.218)] operating system.

Suffice to say the only issues remaining are those particular to C1 8 that were there on Win 7/8/8.1 that couldn't be remedied. Those include issues with shutdown, preview building etc.
AiDon

Postby d_e » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:32 pm

The problem is still there with the final release version of the anniversary update (build 14393.10) which just rolled out to 350 million users.

Support just told me that I must upgrade to C1 9 to get support. I sincerely hope that was a misunderstanding and that P1 will address this problem.

Cheers,
Simon
d_e

Postby John Doe » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:53 pm

According to their own support pages, it should be compatible with Windows 10 64 bit : https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Arti ... cleid=1701
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby d_e » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Yes, I pointed that out to them. I get conflicting messages. First they told me that only "Windows 10 Home" is supported, not "Windows 10 Anniversary Edition" [sic, they don't seem to understand that the Anniversary Update is available for all Windows 10 editions]. Now they tell me that it's not supported and never will be. This would leave all C1 8 users in the dark, since you cannot turn updates off in Windows 10 Home & Pro.
d_e

Postby daffy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:15 pm

d_e wrote:Support just told me that I must upgrade to C1 9 to get support. I sincerely hope that was a misunderstanding and that P1 will address this problem.

I do hope that Phase One will fix this error message on startup of Capture One 8.3.4. Pro on Windows 10 anniversary edition:

An unknown error occurred.

The application was unable to gather information about the error.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at P1.C1.Program.Main()
System.ArgumentException: Value cannot be null
Parameter name: path1
at System.IO.Path.Combine()
at P1.C1.Utilities.ExceptionHandler.HandleExceptionThreadFunc

In other words, there are two defects in the code:
- the exception handler is buggy in triggering an null deref
- the code item is defective in locating whatever "path1" would typically refer to

Support case number 224687.

I suppose everybody should submit a ticket - just copy and paste the description above.
daffy

Postby d_e » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:09 pm

Support case 223269

Now support suggested that I should disable all Windows updates. And also, that the current Windows 10 version won't be supported by C1 8 (and prior). This is getting ugly fast.
d_e

Postby JUK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:51 pm

We did not recommend disabling all Windows updates. You mentioned in your case that it is impossible to turn them off. We simply stated that you can, that is all.

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition will not be supported with Capture One 8 and prior. It contains a .net change that breaks all Capture One versions prior to 9. This fix is already deployed so Capture One 9 customers will not be affected.
Kind regards,

Justin
Team Phase One Support

Please make a support case for technical support with Capture One software:
Http://support.phaseone.com and click on "Contact Support"

Connect with Phase One on our social media channels.
JUK
Crew
Crew

Postby d_e » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 pm

JUK wrote:We did not recommend disabling all Windows updates. You mentioned in your case that it is impossible to turn them off. We simply stated that you can, that is all.

Please explain how to do this on Windows 10 Home. (Microsoft says, you can't.)

Also, you recommend installing updates then. But this breaks C1 8. What now? What is the official P1 suggestion on what to do here?

JUK wrote:Windows 10 Anniversary Edition will not be supported with Capture One 8 and prior. It contains a .net change that breaks all Capture One versions prior to 9. This fix is already deployed so Capture One 9 customers will not be affected.

There is no such thing as "Windows 10 Anniversary Edition". There is just "Windows 10". Soon, all Windows 10 users will have this update installed. There is no official way to disable updates on Window 10 Home or Pro. This means that C1 8 soon won't work anymore for all Windows 10 users.

You stated in official documents that C1 8 supports Windows 10. As you can see here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... -info.aspx the official (and Microsoft recommended) version is 14393.10, which I have installed. This is Windows 10, which is (according to your documentation) supported.

Can we get a refund?
d_e

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x Software