Contrasts and Colors are off when exporting in Photoshop

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Re: Contrasts and Colors are off when exporting in Photoshop

Postby LDJ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi

You are not alone in experiencing this problem and it is not a new issue. I have raised a number of support cases over the last few years regarding differences between the C1 preview and the processed file when opened in Photoshop; the problem was so bad on a couple of occasions that I ended up using a different raw convertor for certain files. I certainly do not trust the colours shown in C1, which is ridiculous considering that Phase markets it as THE professional raw conversion tool.

Robert is absolutely correct when he writes that you can only rely on the accuracy of the C1 preview at 100% and this, in the end,was the only solution that Phase support could offer. However, in my view, this is not very helpful as I do not see how it is possible to adjust overall colours and contrast within an image at 100% magnification. I really feel that Phase have buried their heads in the sand with regard to this particular problem.

I did do some testing comparing the preview in other raw convertors and Photoshop and must admit that they also showed some differences with certain images. But, having said that, I would say that the differences shown in C1 are the most pronounced and frequently occurring.

I'm afraid that, until Phase address the problem (which they have shown no willingness to do up to this point) with changes to the underlying preview generation, the issue will persist. I'm sorry I can't offer a solution.

Best

Liam
LDJ

Postby Andriy.Okhrimets » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:08 pm

I am just curios, did you playing with setting called Rendering Intent in setting menu - Absolute Colorimetric is much more strict, and gives better results when working wide color spaces at least for me. Because Perceptual intent is never 100% accurate from a software standpoint
Andriy.Okhrimets
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Horseoncowboy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:50 am

Andriy.Okhrimets wrote:I am just curios, did you playing with setting called Rendering Intent in setting menu - Absolute Colorimetric is much more strict, and gives better results when working wide color spaces at least for me. Because Perceptual intent is never 100% accurate from a software standpoint

the rendering intend effects the color rendering from the camera profile to the outputprofile or the proof profile setting but does not have any influence on how images are rendered to the monitor profile. there is no case where i can see that absolut colormetric has any advantage more the opposite is true . the c1 camera profiles have a d50 whitepoint adobe rgb d65 so when you use absolut you will get a yellow cast because of the whitepoint missmatch ! relativ colorimetric does the same colormatching as absolut but without whitepoint adjustment.
Horseoncowboy

Postby Andriy.Okhrimets » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:44 pm

Thank you Horseoncowboy that make perfrect sense.
But I was under impression that problem is that viewer is comparing image viewed in C1 to exported image and that is where Rendering intend makes sense.
Andriy.Okhrimets
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635044528269023880UL » Mon May 02, 2016 5:39 am

Hello. I do not mean to bring up an older thread but I am indeed having the same exact problem where photos that I edit in Capture One look different color wise from the Tiff imported to Photoshop unless at 100% and even then there are sometimes color problems, especially at higher ISOs. I am using Capture One 9.1 but I did not see a similar complaint in the thread for that newer version and I wonder if anyone shares this problem?
NN635044528269023880UL

Previous

Return to Capture One 8.x Software