Lag (and Rainbow wheel) when changing between Tool Menus

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Lag (and Rainbow wheel) when changing between Tool Menus

Postby DarylOrillaza » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:12 pm

I work as a digi-tech in Sydney, mostly in the fashion & advertising sectors — so I spend a lot of much of my day nose deep in CO.

I've started noticing that when I click between Tool Tab Menus, I sometimes get the Rainbow-Spinning Wheel, which hangs for a moment or two, before finally switching to the chosen menu. The program never really comes to a full stop/crash, and I'm more describing a bit of lag here - just an annoyance that seems to slow me down from time to time. It's not a major problem, but when you're trying to tech whilst under the pump - jumping from changing Capture Folder, to checking focus, to adjusting colour, and back again in literally seconds - the lag makes me feel a bit off the ball.

Now I can't seem to replicate the problem, so I'm having trouble isolating it— but I don't suspect that it is a computer ability thing as I run a pretty new & up to date set up, and have noticed it as well on other photographer's machines. I use a for-shoots-only MacBook, with a virtually empty SSD (453GBs free of 500GB). I close all unnecessary programs, widgets, background apps etc while shooting.

It's not happening right now: testing with an empty session with no pictures, and no camera tethered. But it did occur today tethering a Canon 5mkiii, in a session with <1000 frames. It didn't happen the other day working with bigger Nikon 810 files, in a much bigger session. Has happened with both 2nd monitors, and no external monitors running. The only other thing I can think of is in some instances like today (in studio), I kept a Lacie Rugged SSD also plugged in all day doing auto-backups through ChronoSync while we worked.
:?

Has anyone else noticed this in their workflows?

My problem setup:
2015 15" retina MacBook Pro , 2.5GH i7, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 Graphics, 500GB SSD
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Capture One 8.3.3.23 (ace 7587) - OpenCL on Auto
DarylOrillaza

Re: Lag (and Rainbow wheel) when changing between Tool Menus

Postby Andriy.Okhrimets » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Any heavy disc operation may impact CO performance, from what you are telling it looks like you a having bottleneck of disk subsystem while doing backups.

Remember C1 is greatly dependent from disk subsystem, and ANY other disk operation running in paralell will impact C1 performance.

WBR
Andriy.Okhrimets
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:46 pm

To add, as I support the suggestion above, try to limit the amount of image to 300-500 range per folder in a session.

And, use Activity Monitor to see what is going on. Tethering hundreds of image in a row my eat up all your resources. Good to keep an eye on that.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby brianmerwin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 am

I've actually been experiencing the same thing since Capture v8.3+ and it's definitely isolated to tethering with Canon cameras.

No issue with Nikon, or Phase, only when I've got a Canon camera tethered up. As soon as I unplug the camera things speed right backup again. So far I've experienced it with a 5dmk3, 1dx and 5DSR.

It doesn't cause Capture to crash, just to run incredibly slowly (on my trashcan Mac Pro with a mostly empty hard drive) so I unfortunately don't have any error logs to send to support (although I'm about to submit a ticket anyway as soon as I have a few minutes to record my screen while the issue is occurring).

My point is...Daryl... You're not crazy. ha.
brianmerwin
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby dale11833 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:25 am

After I have uninstalled and do a clean install of C1, 8.3.3 when using a Canon 5dr, or 8.1.1 on all other cameras (I refuse to use 8.3.3 if I don't have to), and I click between tool tabs there's a lag, and spinning beachball. The problem goes away after a few minutes as if the software just needs to get "up to speed". I suggest running disk utility, dumping the com.phaseone preferences, restarting the computer and see where that gets you.
dale11833

Postby Andriy.Okhrimets » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:14 pm

dale11833 is any specific reason why you stick to 8.1.1 release.
Generally speaking 8.3.1 is old release and I do not see any point of using it even, for compitability. 8.3.2 or 3.2 works way much faster on any machine.
Andriy.Okhrimets
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby AdamHedgecoe » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:48 am

Hi Daryl, Brian,

Did you guys find any solution to this? I had exactly this issue on a job the other day and it drove me nuts. Didn't have enough time to deal with it on the day but want to know how to fix it before the next shoot!

cheers,

adam
AdamHedgecoe
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Michael 71 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:18 pm

I am also having the same issue. C1 8.3.4. iMac retina 5K 27 later 2014. 4 Ghz Intel Core 7. 8 GB Ram. Canon EOS 1ds MK 3. Switching between tools causes spinning ball and sometimes scrolling thru images causes same. Has anyone resolved this?
Michael 71

Postby Michael 71 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:35 pm

Exact same issue as Michael 71 but my spinning ball causes a total system freeze 9sometimes) and requires a hard restart. C1 8.3.4. iMac retina 5K 27 later 2014. 4 Ghz Intel Core 7. 8 GB Ram. Canon EOS 1ds MK 3 as well as 5DsR. Also happens wune I am focused at 100% and am panning around the frame.
Michael 71

Postby Jim_DK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:45 am

I have reproduced this on my machine (though not on others) when there is no internet connection but wifi is enabled (I was on a flight back from US at the time so it was easy to observe).

Removing the capture pilot tool from the tool tab fixed the issue - or switching off the Wifi.

I have a Retina MBP running 10.10.5 if this helps anybody with this issue.
James
Phase One DK
Jim_DK
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN636292633470503698 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Jim_DK wrote:I have reproduced this on my machine (though not on others) when there is no internet connection but wifi is enabled (I was on a flight back from US at the time so it was easy to observe).

Removing the capture pilot tool from the tool tab fixed the issue - or switching off the Wifi.

I have a Retina MBP running 10.10.5 if this helps anybody with this issue.

Thaaaank you! Been struggling with this for a while. Cheers!
NNN636292633470503698

Return to Capture One 8.x Software