Failure exporting to JPEG

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Failure exporting to JPEG

Postby RichardT » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:02 pm

During the last week or so I have been getting occasional errors while exporting to JPEG.

Typically, Capture One will have been running for several hours during which time it will have successfully exported a number of Canon RAW files to JPEG. However, after leaving it idle for a while (e.g. a couple of hours) it will suddenly fail to exported a file.

A typical error message says:
Error Setting Source H:\Capture One\Richards Photos\Cache\Previews\2015\9\3\1069\IMJ_2158.CR2.cop - Error [1 - resError]

Note: this file does exist.

Once this has happened, Capture One will fail to export any files until it has been closed and restarted. The problem file(s) can then be successfully exported.

This is using a catalog with the images left in their current location (which is the same hard drive to which they are being exported). Capture One 8.3.2 on Windows 7.

The only recent change to my system is the addition of a NAS to the network. The NAS is only used to backup the catalog once a week.

Does anyone know what might be the cause of the errors?

Richard
RichardT

Re: Failure exporting to JPEG

Postby SFA » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:02 am

Richard,

H: is presumably an external drive?

I would hazard a guess that the drive is in something like Power Saving mode and is not waking up in time for C1's requirements. I have a couple of external USB drives that seem to have such tendencies.

If so the question then becomes - why is C1 looking for the H: drive if you are are processing everything on the main drive? Or has that part of what you do also changed because you are now running the H: drive as the primary data drive and perhaps were not before?

I have also been seeing some odd things recently - albeit not that error message - at the Windows level. Windows Explorer hanging and sometimes crashing for example with related odd screen handling. Firefox's glitch frequency has gone up thought that may be something to do with Adobe Flash integration (or non-integration) and security issues.

I run with 2 internal SSD drives both of which are rather full at the moment. I am in the middle of tidying things up on the drives and creating additional space to see if that constraint may be contributing to the issues. However if your H: drive is external that does not seem to to have direct relevance here.

How much control do you have for fine tuning the way the NAS operates?

Also - do you export to other formats? If yes, are they also affected?

Grant.
SFA

Postby RichardT » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:31 am

Grant,

Thanks for your input. Drive H: is one of my internal drives.
My PC has 3 internal drives, each with multiple partitions:

Code: Select all
Drive  Type  Size      Partitions
1      SSD   120GB     C: D:
2      HD    2TB       E: F: G: H: I: J:
3      HD    1TB       K: L:

In addition there is a 1TB external USB drive mapped as M: and two network drives from the NAS are mapped as Y: and Z:

All drives report as "Healthy" via S.M.A.R.T.

Applications are mostly installed on C: with various data types stored on partitions E: through L:. I have used this layout since I got the PC in 2012.

My image files are on I: and the Capture One catalog is on H: (as referenced in the error message).

I have noticed that drive 3 occasionally goes into a power save mode, but it is not used by Capture One.
I have not noticed drive 2 in power save mode. This is probably because background tasks (e.g. email client) are accessing it regularly.

I have bought a 500GB SSD to replace the 120GB SSD and a 4TB hard drive to replace the 1TB drive. I have not installed them yet, as I would like to find the cause of this problem first.

Edit: after the last failure, I verified the catalog and it reported "Database check OK".

Richard
RichardT

Postby dreckly » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:55 pm

RichardT wrote:A typical error message says:
Error Setting Source H:\Capture One\Richards Photos\Cache\Previews\2015\9\3\1069\IMJ_2158.CR2.cop - Error [1 - resError]

Note: this file does exist.

Once this has happened, Capture One will fail to export any files until it has been closed and restarted. The problem file(s) can then be successfully exported.
I 'think' that 'maybe' you are reading the error report inappropriately... The reported error is "Error Setting Source" and refers to the sqlLite thingummy that I understand C1 uses for its catalogue mechanism. Source as in database-speak. Not source as opposed to destination. The subsequent file path presumably then attributes the area whose activity it was trying to either load or save. IMHO a database-speak Source error should be properly deemed fatal hence the then necessary close & restart.

Elsewhere I've described the catalogue as an unreliable 'miasma from hell' and so can offer no further words of experience as I expect to always be using sessions:-)

Conversational response(s) may be delayed by the forum's lack of email notifications.
robert

C1 Pro v8.3.3 64
Win10 Pro 64
Core i7 920@2.67GHz/6GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti v355.60 int
EIZO ColorEdge CG276 wide gamut 27" h/w cal CG276 Built-In(21788023)
ColorNavigator 6.4.10.9 PHOTOGRAPHY: 100 cd/m2, min black, 5500K, RGB 2.20
dreckly

Postby RichardT » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:37 pm

The problem continues to occur :(

I upgraded my Nvidia driver to v355.82 and also tested with OpenCL for processing set to "Never" and export still eventually fails.

Once an export to JPEG has failed, attempting to export to TIFF caused no error message, but the Activities dialog stayed on display saying "Exporting - about 0 seconds left".

I upgraded C1P to v8.3.3 but that made no difference.

I created a new catalog and imported one set of raw files. The first set of images I exported to JPEG worked fine. The second set I attempted about 3 hours later failed.

I noticed that the ImgCoreExternal.log file contains the following...

2015-09-12 11:56:58.245> Logging is now active.
2015-09-12 11:56:58.245> CPU: GenuineIntel [Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz]
2015-09-12 11:56:58.245> CPU features: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE41, SSE42, AVX, CX8, RDTSCP, POPCNT
2015-09-12 11:56:58.381> OpenCL initialization...
2015-09-12 11:56:58.404> OpenCL : found platform NVIDIA CUDA, OpenCL Version : OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 7.5.0
2015-09-12 11:56:58.424> OpenCL Device : GeForce GTX 550 Ti
2015-09-12 11:56:58.424> OpenCL Driver Version : 355.82
2015-09-12 11:56:58.424> OpenCL Compute Units : 4
2015-09-12 11:56:58.546> OpenCL : Loading kernels
2015-09-12 11:56:59.248> OpenCL : Loading kernels finished
2015-09-12 11:56:59.248> OpenCL : Benchmarking
2015-09-12 11:56:59.596> OpenCL : Initialization completed
2015-09-12 11:56:59.596> OpenCL benchMark : 0.883456
2015-09-12 14:56:36.239> Connection failed.
2015-09-12 14:56:36.239> Exiting
2015-09-12 14:56:36.258> Shutting down
2015-09-12 14:56:36.763> (ERROR) Timed out waiting for executers [IC_External].
2015-09-12 14:56:37.265> (ERROR) Timed out waiting for executers [PYRAMID_IC_External].
2015-09-12 14:56:37.767> (ERROR) Timed out waiting for executers [Processor for creating thumbnails].
2015-09-12 14:56:38.268> (ERROR) Timed out waiting for executers [PYRAMID_Processor for creating thumbnails].

I created the new catalog at: 12 ‎September ‎2015, ‏‎11:58:02
I created a new output folder to contain the first set of exported JPEGs at ‎12 ‎September ‎2015, ‏‎12:55:33 - this export succeeded.
I created another output folder to contain the second set of JPEGs at: ‎12 ‎September ‎2015, ‏‎14:58:22 - this was the set that failed.

The errors in the log file occurred just before the export failed.

After restarting CaptureOne, the second set of images were exported to JPEG successfully.
It is getting very tedious to have to keep restarting CaptureOne like this :evil:
RichardT

Postby RichardT » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:24 am

I got a reply from Phase One support:
"The messages indicate your processor fails or get to warm after few hours of use. "
RichardT

Postby RichardT » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:46 pm

wsleone - thanks for the links. I just ran the 64bit version and my cpu passed.

In the temperature test it said:
Temperature = 31 degrees C below maximum.

Earlier today I set both OpenCL settings to "Never" and restarted Capture One.
I also ran HW Monitor to check cpu and gpu temps.
I exported one JPEG and then left the PC to idle.
After a couple of hours the "Connection failed" message appeared.
During that time the max CPU temp was 51C and the max GPU temp 45C

Richard
RichardT

Postby NN107337UL2 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:21 pm

I have similar issue but even worse: All the exported files can not be open correctly -- They are just corrupt with very strange looking, without any error message.
NN107337UL2

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:18 am

NN107337UL2 wrote:I have similar issue but even worse: All the exported files can not be open correctly -- They are just corrupt with very strange looking, without any error message.

And you have followed suggestions like setting OpenCL to Never?
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Failure exporting to JPEG [Solved]

Postby RichardT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:59 am

This problem has continued to affect me through to V9.0.1, but finally, after several months of frustration, I think I have found the cause!

While testing Phase One Support's suggestion about the possibility of overheating hardware causing the problem, I realised that the background ImgCoreProcess.exe and its connection to the CaptureOne.exe process was being terminated almost exactly 2 hours (give or take a few seconds) since application start-up, or the last successful export operation. This seemed too regular to be an overheating problem.

I made a screen recording showing the problem occurring at the expected 2 hour mark. On screen I also had monitors for the PC's various temperature sensors and also real-time graphs of CPU and memory usage. It was clear that nothing anomalous was occurring in the hardware at the time the problem occurred.

I submitted the recording to Phase One support. However, they were unable to reproduce the problem on their Windows 7 PC, even after running idle for 4 hours. They commented:

According to our R&D team there is no idle termination in Capture One as such but there is plenty of system optimation / AV programs out there which can kille idleing processes.

Therefore, my next step was to investigate my AV software (Bullguard Internet Security). Following advice from Bullguard, I disabled each module in turn and tested Capture One running idle for 2 hours at each step. The result was that the problem still occurred when none of the Bullguard processes were running. That eliminated Bullguard as the cause.

So then I looked at what other network related processes I had running, I started to investigate a program called NetWorx. This is a free bandwidth monitoring and usage reporting program that I have used for several years (since before I started using Capture One). After disabling NetWorx, ImgCoreProcess.exe was still running idle after 4 hours! After re-enabling NetWorx, ImgCoreProcess.exe continued to run idle. However, after I stopped and restarted Capture One, the ImgCoreProcess.exe was terminated after almost exactly 2 hours.

This made me wonder why the problem had started around the time I had installed the Synology NAS on my network. Then I remembered that the large amount of network traffic I was writing to the NAS was swamping NetWorx's data for traffic to/from the internet. To remedy this, I had ticked the "Ignore local traffic within the LAN" option in NetWorx's settings. I suspect it was just after I changed that setting that the problem with Capture One started occurring. Apparently, this feature requires a network driver that comes with the installation package. I wonder if it is this driver that is responsible?

I have now completely uninstalled NetWorx. Capture One has run idle for over 3 hours so far this morning, without ImgCoreProcess.exe being terminated :D
Last edited by RichardT on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardT

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Excellent technical sleuthing Richard!

Sometimes (actually rather often!) I think the computing world is becoming far too "smart" for its own good. And for our blood pressure!

Compared to the Mac boys we Windows users seem to get off lightly in the problems arena - not withstanding the challenges you have faced finding the source of your problem.

I have to wonder if the problem Macs are running stuff that the non-problem Macs are not but, Macs being Macs, it's all hidden from the typical user. I can't think of any other reasons why some people have enormous problems and other report almost none when running what are ostensibly identical machines.

As for Windows (7 Pro in my case) the recurring problem I seem to have are:

Flash (it is always wanting to update yet Firefox always says it is out of date and does not want to run it.);

Firefox - which seems to struggle once in a while and loses control of its GUI. It's probably to do with some dodgy pushed advertising. At least when killed off it can recover gracefully to where it was previously running;

and

Windows Explorer which seems to get confused from time to time but can be killed off and will auto restart.

Other than that my only worry is for the random but regular reports that the Notebook battery has catastrophically failed yet its health report tells me all is well. I am assuming a software glitch for now but I guess it could be something to do with the charge controller board. A cold reboot seems to be necessary to eliminate the reported error.

I have been seeing some odd failures to log in to Outlook in Office 365 after the most recent update but I think I have managed to link that to aborting the prompted login to Skype for Business.

All much too complicated in my opinion.

Grant
SFA

Postby Debisphotos » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 am

I know this is an old thread but I am getting this error now trying to print to my Canon Pro-100. Technical support had me uninstall then re-install the software, then when it happened again they said it must be the printer driver...
Any ideas?
Debisphotos

Return to Capture One 8.x Software