Wacom vs. Huion tablets, anyone?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Re: Wacom vs. Huion tablets, anyone?

Postby 6BQ5 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi Christian,

I am at a complete disadvantage here. Not only do I not have a Wacom tablet but I also do not have Photoshop! :oops: So, I do not understand what "default" behavior" means. Could you, or someone here, give me a brief explanation of what this means? I found an article on Wacom's site explaining pen pressure behavior in Photoshop :

http://community.wacom.com/en/interests ... nsitivity/

According to this article, I can vary opacity and brush size together with pen pressure. A harder press of the pen can increase both opacity and brush size. I can also have pen pressure mapped to one or the other. Default behavior also includes pen tilt. I can vary the brush size to some degree with pen tilt.

Is this the "default behavior"?
Boris

See my photos on flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/50111087@N05/
6BQ5

Postby Christian Gruner » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Default behavior is that only size varies with pressure.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby 6BQ5 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi Christian,

Thanks for clarifying this. :)

Does the brush pointer on the screen change dynamically so that users know the size of the brush or should we draw with the mask on to see this?

Can you share any plans for expanding pen pressure related functionality with the Wacom and maybe with other pen pressure devices?
Boris

6BQ5

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:28 am

Nope you get the size set by the slider, only when you brush do you see the true brush size, as the mask is drawn.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby Christian Gruner » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 am

6BQ5 wrote:Hi Christian,

Thanks for clarifying this. :)

Does the brush pointer on the screen change dynamically so that users know the size of the brush or should we draw with the mask on to see this?

Can you share any plans for expanding pen pressure related functionality with the Wacom and maybe with other pen pressure devices?

You have to put the pen to the plate in order for the pressure to register, so you will see the size of the brush when drawing.

I cannot comment on future developments.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Horseoncowboy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 am

Christian Gruner wrote:
Horseoncowboy wrote:well this is not really the full truth because as you sure know ps has a dedicated button in a very prominent position to override this behavior

Hence the term "default behavior".

As I said, create a support-case with your request. That way we have a way of tracking the number of requests.

you have a great software but you should give up this silly "file a feature request game" a company who is really supportive and listening to their customers should have more than one channel. you are aware of the problem so why not just simply forward it instead of playing this deaf guy thing over and over again. those pros who need this feature will never be a counting number against you amateur user base anyway....
Horseoncowboy

Postby SFA » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Horseoncowboy wrote:.... those pros who need this feature will never be a counting number against you amateur user base anyway....

Possibly true.

But the chances are that a Pro who really needs a feature will respond and include their own ideas and sound convincing.

Anyone not in NEED of a feature probably will not bother to make the effort to create a Support Case but may well add a "me too" vote to a public forum suggestion without thinking it through. (Sometimes, as we have seen recently, the public suggestions are recognised and adopted anyway).

That way you may end up with a lot of developments that nobody needs or uses.

By managing the idea through a group of support cases it is possible to obtain specific suggestion and check the level of understanding for what is required in the development. All in a properly recorded and managed process.

Even then, in my experience, it is still possible to end up with features and functions that are not used much. Perhaps not used by anyone ....

But at least the management have had some options to understand the real requirements and direct a sufficient level of resources to usable features rather than stuff that introduced bloat to the code and nothing else.

It also means the voice of the Pros is not lost in the noise created by the hobbyists.

IMO.

Grant
SFA

Postby 6BQ5 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:53 pm

Here's the catch-22 trap for me ...

I don't own a Wacom tablet but I would love to read about extra pen pressure being added to C1. However, to be official, I have to buy a Wacom tablet, use it, and then file a case requesting the feature. My request would have to compete against other cases for serious bug fixes, performance enhancements, and feature requests from professional photographers.

Now, I have to say that I feel I got real lucky with my Pentax Q7 request. It was a serious bug in my mind but I'm not a pro and the Q7 is hardly a pro-level camera. Still, it's an awesome feeling to see a request fulfilled, if even quietly, and it turned me into a passionate C1 advocate. Now I tag all of my photographs with "Capture One" on Flickr. :wink:
Boris

6BQ5

Postby Christian Gruner » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Horseoncowboy wrote:
Christian Gruner wrote:
Horseoncowboy wrote:well this is not really the full truth because as you sure know ps has a dedicated button in a very prominent position to override this behavior

Hence the term "default behavior".

As I said, create a support-case with your request. That way we have a way of tracking the number of requests.

you have a great software but you should give up this silly "file a feature request game" a company who is really supportive and listening to their customers should have more than one channel. you are aware of the problem so why not just simply forward it instead of playing this deaf guy thing over and over again. those pros who need this feature will never be a counting number against you amateur user base anyway....

Of course I (and we) use the input from the forums. That is one of the primary reasons I am active here (out of free will, interest and curiousity). But you have to realise that far from everyone at Phase One are active on these forums, as the primary intent is User to User.

Capture One will always be developed primarily with the demanding working pro photographer in mind, but we simply cannot implement everything overnight. This is where the feature requests comes in. It gives us a complete track to the photographer requesting this feature with full name and contact details. Requests are grouped together and votes counted. The counts are used (among other factors, of course) when looking into what to do next.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby RobertJosephBailey » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:20 pm

I wonder if there is someone who can answer this question for me. But first the facts.

I have a number of graphics apps Including Capture One on both Windows 7 and Mac El Capitan.

I have just bought a Huion Tablet.

This tablet works fine on everything I can throw at it except Capture One on the Mac (it works fine on Windows).

So my question!

Who should I be speaking to about a fix. Huion or Phase One?

Thanks for your help.

Robert B
Robert
RobertJosephBailey

Postby RobertJosephBailey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:11 pm

OK so maybe my thanks were a little premature.

Just for the record I have the Huion 1060Plus

It's a nicely built piece of hardware but the driver/software no not work well with C1.

The main problem is the sliders (the ones on the left for exposure, saturation etc). The pointer does not move them properly. It is pretty much impossible to use them.

Huion have acknowledged the problem and say that a driver update might solve the problem in the future but they make no promises.

My suggestion is buy a Wacom. The extra money it costs will be compensated for by not wasting hours trying to get it to work or wasting your time with emails to Huion and their supplier.

Hope this helps.

PS If anyone gets it to work please let me know.
Robert
RobertJosephBailey

Previous

Return to Capture One 8.x Software