Wacom vs. Huion tablets, anyone?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Wacom vs. Huion tablets, anyone?

Postby 6BQ5 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for my iMac to use with Capture One. Wacom products are known to work very well and Capture One can leverage its pen pressure, hot-keys, radial menu, etc. How well does Capture One work with competing tablets like the Huion? The competition is significantly cheaper and many people give those tablets positive reviews.

Feedback, anyone?
Boris

See my photos on flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/50111087@N05/
6BQ5

Re: Wacom vs. Huion tablets, anyone?

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:58 pm

First, CO does not really take advantage of a Tablet. I never found the pen pressure to work very well in CO, and tilt does nothing at all. The reset are just short-cut assignments. So CO just just uses it as a very accurate mouse.

So, If you can assign short-cuts to features on the table you should be good.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby 6BQ5 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:45 pm

That's a little disappointing. I was hoping that C1 could do more with a tablet than just use it as an accurate mouse. That reduces the value of being Wacom-centric. A competitor brand could be just as good then.
Boris

6BQ5

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:44 pm

I am not sure what you mean by the pressure sensitivity not working very well ? Maybe you can elaborate further in a support-case, so we have the chance of improving.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby 6BQ5 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:05 am

Is Pen Pressure detection a Wacom-only feature in Capture One?
Boris

6BQ5

Postby Horseoncowboy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:I am not sure what you mean by the pressure sensitivity not working very well ? Maybe you can elaborate further in a support-case, so we have the chance of improving.

serous ? the lack of full wacom support in C1 has been brought up here a couple of times already.
Horseoncowboy

Postby 6BQ5 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:30 pm

What features are not supported? I do not know because I do not have one. :) Opacity can be changed with pen pressure. It sounds like hot-keys are supported. How about tilt? I thought there was some feature in the Wacom tablet where I can change my brush size by tilting the pen. Sort of like tilting a pencil and using the flat side for a wide stroke.
Boris

6BQ5

Postby HCS » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Horseoncowboy wrote:
Christian Gruner wrote:I am not sure what you mean by the pressure sensitivity not working very well ? Maybe you can elaborate further in a support-case, so we have the chance of improving.

serous ? the lack of full wacom support in C1 has been brought up here a couple of times already.

I believe he is serious, bringing it up in the forum doesn't a support case make.

Phase One has one official channel to deal with these things, whether we like that or not. So, if it's important to you (it is for me, i haven't a tablet yet, but i'm contemplating one), please do raise the support case and describe the behaviour you see.

It'll not only help you, but "us" as well :D :D
HCS

Postby Horseoncowboy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:16 pm

HCS wrote:
Horseoncowboy wrote:

I believe he is serious, bringing it up in the forum doesn't a support case make.

Phase One has one official channel to deal with these things, whether we like that or not. So, if it's important to you (it is for me, i haven't a tablet yet, but i'm contemplating one), please do raise the support case and describe the behaviour you see.

It'll not only help you, but "us" as well :D :D

.....so you suggest the developers working for phase are not smart enough to read and understand what options wacom offers in his SDK ?
Horseoncowboy

Postby Christian Gruner » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Horseoncowboy wrote:

Please notice that I specifically mentioned pressure-sensitivity.
I am not aware of current problems with pressure-sensitivity, no. If you have any, please contact our Support right away, so we can take a look.
We do not currently support tip-tilting, as demand for it has been almost non-existent.

However, using Wacoms ultility, you can configure your keyboard-shortcuts for use in CO.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 am

No, pressure sensitivity works I guess, I just I never need to use it that way. Pen pressure is always size, no way to switch to opacity or hardness. Either way, opacity, hardness or size as pen pressure, usually easier to set them fixed, do the mask then erase down to what you need. To me trying to draw a mask with any kind of pressure sensitivity turn on, I cannot do. Maybe others can keep the pressure constant enough to hold a size, I am not able to do that, and as the cursor on screen does not change to show pressure, until you are drawing, you have no idea of the size.

On, what does not work with a table, last I checked the eraser end of the Pen did not work as expected. (Now it has been a while sense I have tried.) Ok, just checked (latest version 8.3.2), created a mask layer, hit 'b' for the brush, Pen end shows a '+' in the center of the circle, press and it draws a 'red mask', flip to the other end. Get a circle with a '-', but instead of erasing, it draws a mask, so even though it shows a '-' in the circle it still draws a mask. (Cannot believe this is not fixed.)

Now, like I said, to me and because of what CO can actually do, (Basically only drawing the mask), makes the tablet just a very accurate mouse. I am not looking at doing a support case, because, until they support oval/custom brushes, tilt for changing anything just does not make sense. I believe in the past at least in the forums, requests have gone out for allowing pressure to control the opacity, never seen anything come of it. And I don't care enough to put in a support case.

I take CO as what it is a very good raw converter. Nothing more nothing less. I do not try to make CO into a photoshop replacement, and in some respects I wish CO would stop trying to do it. So except for the option on what pressure is assigned to, CO use of a table is ok.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby 6BQ5 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:41 am

Robert,

Thank you for your detailed reply to this thread. I appreciated reading your use case. It never dawned on me to think how steady or not steady my hand would need to be in order to use the pen pressure feature of Capture One. I always thought that the pen pressure was mapped to Opacity - not size. If pen pressure is mapped to size then my mask brush size will probably oscillate as I swing my hand around the tablet surface when drawing something like an arc. With that mind, I would agree with you that the best method is to disable the pen pressure selection and fix the size and opacity. Brush in what you need, erase what you don't need. Manipulate the size and opacity with the hot-keys.

Ideally, to be like a real pencil, I would imagine the pen pressure to be opacity and the tilt angle to be brush size. Opacity can be seen live as the visible mask is drawn. Size could be indicated by a live updated brush icon that changes size.

With all that said, I don't see a lot of value in the high priced Wacom tablets if C1 can't use all the digital information. A clone could do the job just as well for a fraction of the price.
Boris

6BQ5

Postby Christian Gruner » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:14 am

We mimic the default behavior of PS, when is comes to pressure-sensitivity.

If you want to see more Wacom support in CO, please tell our Support Team in a support-case. This way feature-requests can be tracked.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Horseoncowboy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:We mimic the default behavior of PS, when is comes to pressure-sensitivity.

If you want to see more Wacom support in CO, please tell our Support Team in a support-case. This way feature-requests can be tracked.

well this is not really the full truth because as you sure know ps has a dedicated button in a very prominent position to override this behavior ! to be honest i think when p1 started to offers wacon support they decided not to waste to much time on it and that is enough to just offer some basic functionality to create a a marketing argument.
Horseoncowboy

Postby Christian Gruner » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Horseoncowboy wrote:well this is not really the full truth because as you sure know ps has a dedicated button in a very prominent position to override this behavior

Hence the term "default behavior".

As I said, create a support-case with your request. That way we have a way of tracking the number of requests.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x Software