MacBook and Capture One?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

MacBook and Capture One?

Postby NN635514862496937338UL » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:01 am

Anyone actually using Capture One with the new MacBook?

I don't need speculation. The video here gives the impression that semi-Pro use may not be so disappointing.
http://www.digitalavira.com/tutorials/8zbe

I'm not quite ready for a 15" MBP, and I understand the advantages the 13" rMBP has over the MacBook, but the size and screen/keyboard combination of the MacBook are extremely tempting.

I'm running Capture One, Photomatix and Acorn on a regular basis (just can't bring myself to run Adobe).
A few layers in C1 will do the job most of the time and my needs are not heavy, but I'm after a machine that can do the job on the road.

I'm also interested in the possibility of using a pen on Force Touch trackpad for photo editing, if anyone has tried it. I don't expect wacom performance, it only needs to be better than trackpad or mouse.

I know the 13" rMBP has Force Touch and I can see all its advantages, but I'd rather the MacBook if I can.
Any real world experience out there?
NN635514862496937338UL

Re: MacBook and Capture One?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:35 pm

You don't need speculation but what readers need before they can help you is what you like to use the MacBook + Capture One combination for. Importing, tethering, editing, processing? You (can) tell us.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:11 pm

I am not sure what you mean by the term "new MacBook" but I am using C1Pro 8.2 on a 2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina, i7, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. If that qualifies as "new", then perhaps I can answer your questions.

I find C1 to be relatively responsive without any real problem areas. I use external apps with C1 including PhotoLine, Affinity Photo Beta and PerfectPhoto Suite 9 and rarely have any memory problems although sometimes I do occasionally find the machine running at 99% memory usage.

The machine never seems to get hot, I rarely have a software crash and none of those have been C1. I am running Yosemite and the only complaint that I have is that I would like to have been able to buy more RAM. Not that I feel limited by my 16 GB but I don't like being over 75-80% usage.

Due to the limits of my 512 GB SSD (that was all that was available when I bought it) I keep my photos on an external Transcend 128 GB JetDrive which prevents my SSD from getting too full. I think the machine works well, but I have no idea if my work requirements are the same as yours.

If you have more specific question perhaps you can let me know so I can determine whether or not I can answer them, given my normal work usage. I am a family photographer and process raw images taken at home and on vacation, but I do no tethering or other professional type work.
MikeFromMesa

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:34 am

MikeFromMesa wrote:I am not sure what you mean by the term "new MacBook" ...

It seems you missed Apple's latest product announcement, apart from the Watch. ;-)
http://www.apple.com/macbook/

It's exact name is 'MacBook' without any prefix or suffix in the name like Pro, Air, Retina. It is an low-spec machine, and users like to hear what others think about it.

The compare pages are maybe helpful.
http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:It seems you missed Apple's latest product announcement, apart from the Watch. ;-)

Ha.

Yes, actually I did completely miss it. I have been paying absolutely no attention to the Apple website for the last 6-9 months since I had no plans to upgrade my macBook Pro and did not want to start drooling ...

Thanks for the links. I will take a look now and I guess that my posting on this subject were completely off the mark.
MikeFromMesa

Postby NNN634506198931751222 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:05 am

Did anyone have any info on this? Also wondering if capture one will work on apples latest macbook (not pro) - the thin new one that comes in different colors.
It might be a little demanding for the non intel processor (shooting tethered or just editing raw with either 5dIII or leaf credo 40)...

It would make a great travel laptop with its long battery and light weight.
NNN634506198931751222

Postby John Doe » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:46 am

AFAIK there's no such thing as a non-Intel MacBook yet. What model are you refering to?
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Return to Capture One 8.x Software