Analog to Digital with Capture one Pro 8

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Analog to Digital with Capture one Pro 8

Postby STEVE31 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi there, i am trying to find the Image Professors blog about scanning colour negatives which arrived by email 05.02.15
but links to this seem to have been removed. Why?
I have a client who wants me to scan some of my colour negs, and need this blog to see how to do it.
Any help would be useful.

Regards Steve Todd
STEVE31

Re: Analog to Digital with Capture one Pro 8

Postby NilsO » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:54 pm

HI,
I noted that the blog was deleted.
I use Capture One Pro 8.1.1 (for Sony) on win7, but the procedure should be the same on a Mac

Made myself some tests to scan in color negativs with my camera, Sony A6000 and a setup with my old enlarger as the
light source and the negative holder.
Placed the camera underneath with the Componon 50mm lens and an extension tube mounted to it.
This provided so that the 35mm negative filled up the entire frame of the camera.
Adjusted to ISO100, manual exposure and manual focus, of course.
When the color neg has an orange mask I tried:
* 1 * to measure the mask and adjust the Kelvin setting to filter out the mask.
* 2 * measuring light source (LED) without negative mask, which is 2700K in my case. (Best method for me)

Imported .ARW raw files to COP-8 (for Sony)
There are two ways to invert the colors,
either use a built-in Style; Color EFFECTS > Color Effects - Inverse1
Or use the Levels control and reverse Black and White points, just drag the points from left to right and vice versa.

Adjust the white balance with the Pick tool on a neutral part of the image
I found that it was easy to filter out the orange mask and adjust the white balance directly in CO.

Next you need to adjust the Exposure, Contrast and even HDR and Clarity as usual.
Just note that some tools are working backwards than you're used to because white and black point are reversed :)
Once you are happy with all adjustments, save it as a User Preset so it is easy to apply to similar negativs.

I found that it worked well to scan Black & White negativs in this way too.
Then you need not think about the white balance in the same way.
If you use the camera scanning procedure I describe above, calibrate camera to the light source only.
Then use the Black and White tool in CO, which is an excellent tool for conversion to B / W.

two screen captures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByoFVL6XtdLmcHJuTU03cTNVVzQ&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByoFVL6XtdLmd3lJZW4zSWF1N2c&authuser=0

Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Nils
NilsO

Postby 6BQ5 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:38 pm

I follow something very similar to what Nils does. My setup is a Pentax K-3 with a D-FA 50mm f/2.8 and a vintage film/slide copier attachment. I mount the negative in the copier attachment and I illuminate it with a 6500k light source. Focusing is done manually but I let the camera set the exposure. Of course, use the lowest available ISO speed.

I import the DNG a files into Capture One and get to work. When importing I use the Linear transfer function vs. some film type. That gives me a neutral starting point.

Invert the colors...
Flip the image...
Adjust composition with rotation and cropping...
Perform Auto-Levels on the individual R, G, and B channels
Set white balance...
Re-do the Auto Levels...

Now the image is ready for seasoning to taste. Add contrast, saturation, clarity, brush layers, etc. Be warned, some adjustment will work backwards since the image is a negative. Examples include exposure, brightness, and shadow/highlight recovery.

Dust can be removed with the spot removal tool or creating a healing layer. The healing layer works great for some thing like the sky. Spot removal works great on faces, eyes, etc.

Here's an example of the output I get from my process.

Image_IMG1738 by Never Off, on Flickr
Boris

See my photos on flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/50111087@N05/
6BQ5

Postby NilsO » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:39 pm

I've also tried to scan my old slides, Ektachrome and Kodachrome with good results.
No color is reversed here but it needed some color and contrast adjustment which is usually a little too high in the copy you make. The sharpness you can achieve from a good slide is awesome.
My feeling is that we have an excellent software tool in CO to get where we want without restrictions.
As soon as you learn fundamental settings, you are ready to experiment and see what it can do with your .raw files .. I'm impressed!
Nils
NilsO

Postby 6BQ5 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:08 pm

I agree with Nils again regarding the different challenges of scanning reversal film. Due to the films very narrow dynamic range, the contrast comes out being very high. I find myself wrestling with the histogram to stretch it back out. The resolution is very high and the grain is very smooth though. I think the effort is worth the result. :)
Boris

6BQ5

Postby STEVE31 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Nils and Boris,
Thank you very much for sharing your expertise here on the forum, when i have a spare minute, i shall try out your suggestions.
I still find it odd that the original Professors post has been deleted, no comment from Phase One about it either.

Thanks again for your replies

Kind Regards Steve Todd
STEVE31

Postby 6BQ5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm

While Capture One is very good with processing colors it is not so good fixing defects. For example, negatives may have dirt and scratches. You would think that you can heal the image with the spot removal tool but you only get 100 spots available. Scratches can be removed and ideally every scratch should be healed with its own layer so you can pick different source points for healing. However, you only have a total of 16 layers to use. You may use 2 to 4 layers for corrections like dodging and burning which leaves you with 12 to 14 layers.

Some negatives may be in pristine condition and you will never run into these limitations. Others may be severely damaged or dirty and there is chance you will bump into them.

Phase One Tech Support told me that the limitations are self imposed because of performance issues and Capture One is not Photoshop. I have maxed out the layers and the spot removal tool and I have noticed some lag but it's not terrible. My mid-2011 iMac still functions just fine. I understand that Capture One shouldn't try to be Photoshop but I also don't need or want Photoshop for negative processing. I would really like to see unlimited spot removal.

The work around is to export the image to TIFF and import that file back into Capture One. Now your spot removal and layer counts go back to 0. This consumes about 100 MB of space but storage space is cheap.
Boris

6BQ5

Postby JREIMERS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi Steve,

I found the original article in the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150208103 ... one-pro-8/

Best Regards
Jochen
JREIMERS

Return to Capture One 8.x Software