Capture one 20 vs 12 engine difference in rendering

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Capture one 20 vs 12 engine difference in rendering

Postby Francois_Karacsony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi all,

C20 has just been released. and looks great.

I tried to see some RAF files with the new engine in C20. I tried to make a new variant from a file. The new variant turned out to be made with c20 engine which is great. The issue is that the new variant turn out to be much more dark as if really underexposed and way darker.

PS. the original file in C12 engine was not edited at all and no changes were made on it.

please let me know your comments

There is clearly a bug when creating a new variant the image is clearly darker as when cloning it is normal
Last edited by Francois_Karacsony on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francois_Karacsony

Re: Capture one 20 vs 12 engine difference in rendering

Postby errebe » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Just upgraded, and terribly disappointed. Where did it go the 'view selected colors' in the 'color editor' tool...?
At a first glance, colors look terribly saturated.
And still waiting for the Leica Summilux 28/1.7 (Leica Q2 fixed lens) profile.
Disappointing...!!!
errebe

Postby TUG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Francois_Karacsony wrote:Hi all,

I tried to see some RAF files with the new engine in C20. I tried to make a new variant from a file. The new variant turned out to be made with c20 engine which is great. The issue is that the new variant turn out to be much more dark as if really underexposed and way darker.

PS. the original file in C12 engine was not edited at all and no changes were made on it.

Wowza, same comment in 2 threads.
The "View Selected Colors" is just where it was in v12?
TUG

Postby Francois_Karacsony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:30 pm

TUG wrote:
Francois_Karacsony wrote:Hi all,

Wowza, same comment in 2 threads.
The "View Selected Colors" is just where it was in v12?

when cloning it is ok. when making a new variant it is way darker... I edited my post
Francois_Karacsony

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:34 pm

errebe wrote:(...)
Where did it go the 'view selected colors' in the 'color editor' tool...?

If you refer to the renewed Basic Color Editor, click on the button with 3 dots just right from the line of color samples. This will open the Edit Color Ranges dialog with the ... (drumroll) 'View selected color' checkbox.
errebe wrote:At a first glance, colors look terribly saturated.

For the Leica Q2 please read this support document:
https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004027358-Why-are-the-colors-are-oversaturated-in-the-files-from-Leica-Q2-in-Capture-One-20-
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby errebe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:

If you refer to the renewed Basic Color Editor, click on the button with 3 dots just right from the line of color samples. This will open the Edit Color Ranges dialog with the ... (drumroll) 'View selected color' checkbox.

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004027358-Why-are-the-colors-are-oversaturated-in-the-files-from-Leica-Q2-in-Capture-One-20-

Regarding the ICC camera profile for Leica Q2, nothing happened after more than one month.

When is this bug going to be fixed...? I understand minor bugs can be expected, but honestly, this is too much. CO is deservedly praised by its quality and so on, but again, this is too much.

In my case, I am (I was) organizing a personal web page and other things, and I am just stuck for more than one month. CO is a paid software, and not cheap, and users I think we deserve better treatment.

Are admins going to provide any information about this...?

Best.
errebe

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 am

errebe wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:

Regarding the ICC camera profile for Leica Q2, nothing happened after more than one month.

When is this bug going to be fixed...? I understand minor bugs can be expected, but honestly, this is too much. CO is deservedly praised by its quality and so on, but again, this is too much.

In my case, I am (I was) organizing a personal web page and other things, and I am just stuck for more than one month. CO is a paid software, and not cheap, and users I think we deserve better treatment.

Best.

Did you read the article that Paul provided a link to? It does provide a fix that you could use. (You could set the No Colour Correction setting as default for the camera for now.) I agree that a permanent fix would be good, and it is to be hoped that one will come soon. Admins of this forum are unlikely to provide updates about this issue here - this is a user-to-user forum.

Ian
Ian3

Postby errebe » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Best.[/quote]
Did you read the article that Paul provided a link to? It does provide a fix that you could use. (You could set the No Colour Correction setting as default for the camera for now.) I agree that a permanent fix would be good, and it is to be hoped that one will come soon. Admins of this forum are unlikely to provide updates about this issue here - this is a user-to-user forum.

Ian[/quote]

Yes Ian, I did read the link you mention long time ago, and does not provide any fix at all... Furthermore, if we go to temporary fix, selecting 'DNG File neutral' and 'Linear response' gives much better result... even so, my point is how CO can go through and update with such a bug like this. Do you work with a Leica Q2...? If not, you cannot have idea what is this about: like a cheap, snapshot disposable camera, without the charming in it. I do not know about other models.

I must remind we pay for this software. Many of us depend on this software for our regular workflow.

And if the admins or the techs do not read and/or feel obliged to make any comment after almost two months, too bad for them.

Never expected something like this from CO. Not only the bug itself, but how are they acting after that.

Very disappointing, to say the least.

Thanks and best,

Ramón
errebe

Postby SFA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 am

It is also possible to set the default processing engine to V12.

Doing this should make the workflow easier for now.

That said I have briefly tested to understand what this problem is about using a sample file from the internet and the suggestion to use Linear looks like a sensible approach to me. I always use Linear as a starting point with my RAW files anyway. Perhaps I am biased?

Grant
SFA

Postby Photocor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:17 am

Hello,
When you do a new variant from V12 to V20, defaults settings are applyed, llike curve and noised reduction (position 50 for each cusor). This could be one explanation.
Photocor

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration