Capture One 12 and memory over-run

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Capture One 12 and memory over-run

Postby jeremy_harbinson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi,
I am using Capture One 12.1.4 on Mojave 10.14.6 and I have had a problem which looks like a serious memory leak. When this happened C1 was not actually being used - at least not by me. The leak may even have happened when my computer (a MacBook pro) was nominally asleep. I noticed it when I woke the computer and there was message that system memory was exhausted and that I needed to switch off some apps. C1 at this point was using 60 - 70 GB (I do not remember the exact number - that is in the crash report that was sent yesterday). All other apps were normal. I 'force quit' C1 and sent off the crash report. When this kind of memory over-run occurs it seems to damage a lot of other running apps so they need to be restarted, so it is a bit of a mess. I had the same problem with C1 11 about a week ago (same computer, same C1 data). In that case I noticed the 'out of memory' warning only in the morning by which time nearly all apps apart from C1 had been shut down.

I contacted Apple today and asked if I could limit memory use by C1 - not possible, it seems. Their advice was to run C1 only while carefully monitoring its memory use.
all the best,
Jeremy
jeremy_harbinson

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration