Image dimensions processing mystery

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Image dimensions processing mystery

Postby Carol-R » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm new to Capture One so an expert user will hopefully find this a very simple mystery to solve! And yes, I've searched the forum for a possible answer but haven't found anything yet.

I'm using Capture One 12 Pro for Fuji, on a MacBook Pro, Catalina OS.

The mystery: The pixel dimensions of an uncropped image from my Fuji X-T3 under the metadata tab is 6240x4160 pixels, as expected. However, under the Process Summary, the uncropped image dimensions are different and seemingly random. Four different images (all 6240x4160), using the same process recipe, show the sizes as 6130x4087, 5959x3973, 5861x3907 and (as should be expected) 6240x4160

The Process Recipe for all of them is:
Format: Jpeg
Quality: 100
ICC Profile sRGB
Resolution 300 px/in
Scale: Fixed 100%
Adjustments: Respect crop (but I also tried Ignore Crop, with the same result)

If I process the images, the jpgs have the dimensions as shown on the Process Summary (i.e. randomly incorrect)

How do I process an image to be exactly the same dimensions as the original image? And why are the dimensions so inconsistent between different images?

Thanks in advance!
Carol-R

Re: Image dimensions processing mystery

Postby Ian3 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 pm

I wonder whether this is the result of default lens correction being applied? How much correction is applied will depend on the lens being used, and the focal length being used if it is a zoom. (The wider end of the zoom may require more correction.)

Try going to one of the images where you get fewer pixels than you expected, create cloned variant so that all your settings and edits are preserved, but then go to the lens tab and reduce the distortion slider to zero. When you process that out, do you get the dimensions you hoped for?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Carol-R » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Thank you! That seems to solve the mystery. Coming from Lightroom where the lens correction is "built in" for Fuji lenses, I didn't think to check under the lens correction tab. The default that was applied was 100 regardless of the zoom, but on the same lens. I'm not sure which I like best but at least now I know where to look. Thanks again,
Carol
Carol-R

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:53 pm

Carol-R wrote:Thank you! That seems to solve the mystery. Coming from Lightroom where the lens correction is "built in" for Fuji lenses, I didn't think to check under the lens correction tab. The default that was applied was 100 regardless of the zoom, but on the same lens. I'm not sure which I like best but at least now I know where to look. Thanks again,
Carol

Carol,

I have always assumed that Adobe does whatever it does and then 'resizes' to the expected dimensions whereas C1 does not resize but, if for some reason you really need that size, will do so for you on Output Processing.

You can, of course, elect to do your own thing with cropping.

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby Carol-R » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you Grant, I expect you're right about the resizing. This is certainly a learning curve but good stimulation for my aging brain :)
Carol
Carol-R

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:22 am

Carol-R wrote:Thank you Grant, I expect you're right about the resizing. This is certainly a learning curve but good stimulation for my aging brain :)
Carol

You find that too? ;)
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration