Can Lightroom and C1 compliment each other?.

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Re: Can Lightroom and C1 compliment each other?.

Postby ClauS » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:44 pm

OddS wrote:Like most people, I usually open images for edit using C1's browser. Before that, PM has prepared the session folder, copied raw files to <sessionname>/Capture/<subfolder(s)>, done all file renaming, all metadata. PM can get C1 to open the image folder via PM's Edit with or just drag and drop.

I was used to do it with Expression Media 2/Media Pro since I bough it, but never thought to go deeper to session folders structure. Essentially because at that time I was used to import pictures directly in the session folder. I preferred to do image ingestion, renaming, rating etc through my DAM but definitely left it behind for different reasons (which probably I can't even remember :mrgreen: ). Most of all I think a not perfect and reliable integration between Media Pro and Capture One, which was awful considering they both came from PO. But lately I'm re-thinking my workflow so I'll give it a new try.

IanL wrote:
OddS wrote:At my place, "done" means processed to output. I just point PM to the relevant output folders.

Got it - for my work I view the output as throwaway (well after it has been printed or delivered or put on the web) since I can always go back to the single source of truth - the RAW file :-) if I need the output again.

I consider this to be the biggest issue I would have with using a separate DAM - having an entry in the database that shows the post edit look but doesn't introduce a duplicate of the RAW file. I was initially very interested in using C1 Sessions with Media Pro since it seemed like a good fit. :( but Phase One killed off Media Pro :(

What about if you need(ed) to further edit a processed file? I mean, if you throw it away you're going to lose your work and you should remember what you did and do it again. It's unreliable and time consuming to me.

I keep my Tiffs which, after photoshop work if needed, become my master files. Any other version will come from these and will be archived too. I will go back to Raw editing only if I completely change my mind on something or I want to try a new editor or a new version introduces a feature I want to take advantage of or its new engine has a dramatic impact on the image. But...

What about if in a far future you won't be able to access your old editor and retrieve your old work? Keeping the output file could be the only way to save it permanently.

Since I came back to photography I'm trying to re-think my workflow, folders structure etc. I had (and I will keep this approach) two DAM catalogs, one for original (which means both raws and straight out of camera/smartphone jpegs) and one for derivative files. Unfortunately I can't rely on a single program so I won't do without a proper DAM software. One fact is that I've got some old Fuji Raw files that are not editable in Capture One. I've had to convert them to DNG ('cause strangely Media Pro couldn't handle them while Expression Media could) and create a Lightroom catalog out of necessity but I don't want to use it as my DAM 'cause I don't want to rely on something I could decide not to pay for in the future (subscription model flaws). So basically I will have a Lightroom catalog for my old Raw files, a CO catalog for my actual ones (even though I'm still working with sessions to import to catalog later) and a Media Pro 2 comprehensive catalog to collect all of my images in one place and reference them to the other two. Unfortunately the discontinued state of Media Pro introduced other problems in my strategy. My X-T100 Rafs do not reflect Capture One edits in Media Pro 2. That's why master files and a master files catalog are relevant to me. The master file catalog will be the most important one.
ClauS

Postby IanL » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:30 pm

dsroka wrote:Is there anyway to prevent C1 from making all of the session-related folders (Capture, Output, Selects, etc), and just create a sidecar file next to the raw file? (DXO Photolab does this.)

Those are two separate things. You can create a session and control the location of those folders but the adjustments are recorded by C1 in a separate sub folder "CaptureOne" and I see no way to change that.

I just tried creating a session where I used '.' for the sub folder names for each of "Capture", "Selects" and "Output". That created a session with only a "Trash" and "CaputureOne" sub folder under it. The only problem is that the three collections are still there and since they point to the same folder they have the same content which is a little odd and if I am in the Capture collection and move something to the Selects folder via the menu the image disappears from the catalogue until I restart it and then it appears again. So, the directory structure is what you want but the app seems somewhat confused by that structure.
IanL

Postby dsroka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:03 pm

IanL wrote:You can create a session and control the location of those folders but the adjustments are recorded by C1 in a separate sub folder "CaptureOne" and I see no way to change that.

Thanks for confirming. Having those folders is no big deal, just makes my image folders a little messy.
dsroka

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 pm

dsroka wrote:
IanL wrote:You can create a session and control the location of those folders but the adjustments are recorded by C1 in a separate sub folder "CaptureOne" and I see no way to change that.

Thanks for confirming. Having those folders is no big deal, just makes my image folders a little messy.

Well, maybe. On the other hand if you want to look at the contents of those folders with other software or in Finder/Explorer you can do so without the distraction of all the sidecar files.

Ian
Ian3

Previous

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration