Library>Filters>Place?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Library>Filters>Place?

Postby Manalishi » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on "Place"? It's located in the Library module > Filters.

I don't fully understand it, I usually add image city and country metadata during import.

"Place" is not a standard IPTC field, it seems to be pulling data from somewhere, but where?

There is also a "+" that allows you to add a new place. Wierd!
Manalishi

Re: Library>Filters>Place?

Postby IanL » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:40 am

I was not able to add a place - it is weird that there is a + for only that control in the filter tool. But if I fill in the IPTC - Image Location, City, State/Province, Country metadata then those entries show up in that filter control.
IanL

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:57 pm

"Places" is a grouping of individual IPTC fields thus allowing the grouped selections to be expanded or contracted on screen.

So far as I can see it is expected to be a hierarchical construction consisting of Country>State>City>Location by default.

Presumably the "+" allows it to be preloaded with the above as one of the options for applying metadata to images.

I cannot find any obvious way to eliminate any values manually entered using the "+" option..

I think that may lead to a question for the C1 Support Team.

Grant
SFA

Postby Manalishi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks for the replies.
I have been playing with Place and it is very useful. I prefer to use the IPTC metadata for entering the locations of images.I think it is better than using keywords.

I wanted to find out which files were lacking country data, and Places gives me that option. Once selected in Places, I made a standard album containing all of the files that I wanted to add country data to. Then it's just a matter of going through and adding metadata as required.
Manalishi

Postby -Gerald- » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:22 pm

It looks like this question was raised before in older posts, but I could not find an answer.

I just created something by accident under Place in a way abc,xyz. I now have a country abc,xyz.
Is there any way to edit this or delete it?
The new entry is available in all catalogs now.

Thanks
Gerald
-Gerald-

Postby SFA » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm

You could delete either or both of abc and xyz.

If the string abc,xyz appears in any of the fields that might be used for "Place" then modify that field in whatever way suits your needs?

Grant
SFA

Postby -Gerald- » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Thats exactly my problem.
I cannot find a way to access this information once entered.
I have under Place instead of a county a line like this
> abc,xyz
There is no right mouse click, double clicl, menu or anything I'm seeing to edit or delete it.
What I understood is, that the information is intended for geotagged images. I learned this after I entered abc,xyz after hitting the + and I was looking for the information, what's going on.

Thanks
Gerald
-Gerald-

Postby SFA » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:42 am

-Gerald- wrote:Thats exactly my problem.
I cannot find a way to access this information once entered.
I have under Place instead of a county a line like this
> abc,xyz
There is no right mouse click, double clicl, menu or anything I'm seeing to edit or delete it.
What I understood is, that the information is intended for geotagged images. I learned this after I entered abc,xyz after hitting the + and I was looking for the information, what's going on.

Thanks
Gerald

OK, here is what I have seem testing for this problem.

In the "Places" tool one can hit the "+" and add a "Place" to make it available for use.

If one just enters a character string C1 treats it as a "Country". I think if one was to make an entry for the Place hierarchy, separating the sections with a vertical line ("Pipe" character) it would fill the different sections of the Place hierarchy. However I did not try that.

Once entered the value appears in the Place section with a count of 0.

If one adds the new Place to an image the count changes to 1.

Leaving the image with that entry on file means that the "Place" exists in the database (for as long as that image and its metadata stick around) and the Place will continue to appear.

If one deleted the 'Place" from the record (or records) to which it was added as metadata the Image count for the Place text will return to 0 but the name will persist in the list of possible places found in the metadata for the images.

However if one then closes the catalogue/session (I only tested this with a session) the added place is not retained anywhere.

On re-opening the catalogue/session C1 re-reads the records and creates a new count of "Places". If the previously created place no longer appear in any record it will not be found and so will disappear for the list.

Therefore there is no need to have a 'delete' option since it is a dynamic value that only appear if it exists.

To find where it exists make the Place a visible filter, click on the radio button to activate the filter so that only the records with the Place code will be selected and see what appears. Check the Metadata held in the image's "Country" field (or possibly one of the other fields depending on what you see) and delete it from the record.

Cloe and reopen the C1 catalogue or session and the added place should have disappeared.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration