How to Scale or can you???

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

How to Scale or can you???

Postby NNN637063284818938984 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:22 pm

So I've almost switched completely over from Lightroom and I'm thrilled. I have a Mac and Capture is incredible but there's one thing that I wish it had or perhaps I simply can't find. How do you scale an image with Capture the same way you can with Lightroom. In Lightroom "Scaling" is under the "Transformation" tab under the "Develop" module. Scaling allows you to pull the image in tighter without cropping the image. If I need to offer a more detailed explanation of what scaling is I will be glad to do so but hoping someone smarter than me has figured it out.
NNN637063284818938984

Re: How to Scale or can you???

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Bear in mind that C1 always refers back to the original file until such time as you send something for Output Processing (Or export). Scaling is a feature of Output Processing recipes.

For example if, as from LightRoom, you wished to send a file to Photo Shop, you would need to create a file that PS could work with and at that point the scaling you talk of may be important for some purpose you may have. However in many cases it is likely to be better to work in PS at full scale and then scale in some way for output from PS.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:18 pm

If you mean, can Capture One zoom out beyond the zoom to fit zoom level, it can’t.

But you can see something a bit like that if you set the proof margin to a large amount.

Ian
Ian3

Postby eartho » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Scaling in Lr is only used to to trim transparent parts of an image which have been created during a transformation.
In C1 this is done automatically unless you uncheck Crop Outside Image (found in the Crop tool panel).
eartho

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration