Drawing masks... iPad support? Preferred tablets????

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Drawing masks... iPad support? Preferred tablets????

Postby NNN637045846346689414 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I ditched my mouse for touch pads a few years ago... but the touchpad can be a bit painful when drawing masks, particularly when trying to do really fine work. The setting for "pen pressure control" is always on my mind when I adjust brush settings, so it got me thinking: this would be way easier with a stylus.

Looking around online, everyone is talking about Wacom tablets. Great! What models are compatible with Capture One Pro? I can't find a list anywhere. What model do people prefer to work with?

Or can I skip the Wacom entirely? I already have an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil. It doesn't look like Capture One has an official way to do it, but can I use the iPad to draw the masks? Possibly by extending my display to the iPad...? Not sure if input on the iPad carries over that way, though.

Greatly appreciate any tips you all have.
NNN637045846346689414

Re: Drawing masks... iPad support? Preferred tablets????

Postby NN132823UL » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi,

there is no Capture One for iOS!

I would like to know too which Wacom tablet the people here use...

CU

Peter
NN132823UL

Postby Ian3 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:17 pm

NN132823UL wrote:Hi,

there is no Capture One for iOS!

True, but that is not what he is asking, I think. He wants to know whether he can use an iPad with an Apple pencil instead of a Wacom.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Phil Ryan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:49 pm

I use a small Wacom Intuos, although any of the Wacom pen tablets work fine. I’ve found that it works better for me if I remap the tablet area to be about a quarter of the size so I can rest my hand like I’m writing and still cover the whole display. This seems to work best for masking and brush work.

The next release of MacOS and iPad software is supposed to allow the iPad to be used as an external monitor. I’m not sure how well the pen will work with it, or indeed if it will work with C1. Even if it does I would hold off a while to let the bugs in the various software sort itself out.

Best,
Phil
Phil Ryan
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration