Applying layers to user style

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Applying layers to user style

Postby bsloot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:57 am

I'm hoping to find a way to add layers to a user style (not the other way around), so if I apply a style it will add a number of filled layers with adjustments. When creating a style there is no check box for layers, and when creating a style through the adjustments clipboard with layers ticked it still won't work.

Any chance of a work around?

Thanks

Edit: This is for C1 12.1.1 on Mac
bsloot

Re: Applying layers to user style

Postby SFA » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Create a 'Master' image for your changes and save it to somewhere you can always find it.

When you feel a need to apply the same changes to another image or set of images, copy and paste (by any one of the several possible methods available) to the image or images you wish to enhance.

If you are using luminosity masks and the luminosity range of the images matches the "master" then that may be all you need to do.

If you are using a full area regular mask the same comment may apply in many cases.

If you are masking specific areas of the image the masking requirements may vary from one image to the next an may in any case not match the 'Master' image.

In most cases I can think of saving a number Layer based edits complete with masks as styles (if it was made possible) would offer little if any benefit compared to creating them as you go. The layer settings might have value but the suggestion above deals with that. The masks, if for specific areas, would likely need modification anyway and so, IMO, there is little to be gained when compared to simply creating the adjustment afresh.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration