Catalogs and Sessions concurrently!!!

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Catalogs and Sessions concurrently!!!

Postby NNN637039778275127475 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi,

Looking at switching to Capture One and trying to workout the best workflow and methods for switching to Capture One, I know with LR users quite a lot of people will generate new catalogs every time a new large shoot is created e.g. a wedding. I understand this isn’t the case with Capture One as a Session would be more appropriate.

However I wondered whether the following would work/can work as a way for storing and managing my photos. I am thinking of running yearly catalogue for storing family related/personal shoots and photos and then use sessions for one off large shoots such as weddings etc. Is this something that Capture One users would do? Is starting a new catalogue each year a good way of utilising this way of storing? I figured this way each yearly catalog would not get too big and thus improve overall performance and reliability?

Last question, do catalogs work in Capture One on a referenced based system where you choose to store images on your Hard drive in your own way and then Capture a one just creates small reference files to house the edits?

Thank you for any input
NNN637039778275127475

Re: Catalogs and Sessions concurrently!!!

Postby IanL » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:31 pm

NNN637039778275127475 wrote:However I wondered whether the following would work/can work as a way for storing and managing my photos. I am thinking of running yearly catalogue for storing family related/personal shoots and photos and then use sessions for one off large shoots such as weddings etc. Is this something that Capture One users would do? Is starting a new catalogue each year a good way of utilising this way of storing?

It does sound reasonable. The way I work is to create a session for everything - do my work on that session - then import the session into my single master catalogue. That way I can search all my work if I need to. So, far I am at just over 64 000 images. Other than the problem C1 has on Windows of taking way to long to prepare to search all images I have had no problem with a catalogue of that size.

One thing to note is that once you import a session into a catalogue you should seriously consider never editing in the session again since any changes made in the session after the import into the catalogue will *not* be reflected in the catalogue. Once the catalogue imports the adjustment you made in the session it takes over storing them and does not refresh from the session any further. I personally don't see this as a problem - just making you aware.

NNN637039778275127475 wrote:I figured this way each yearly catalog would not get too big and thus improve overall performance and reliability?

Others have mentioned working this way and perhaps it will work well for you. I have created smart albums for each year in my single catalogue - I am happy with that.

NNN637039778275127475 wrote:Last question, do catalogs work in Capture One on a referenced based system where you choose to store images on your Hard drive in your own way

Yes, absolutely. A majority of users work this way.
IanL

Re: Catalogs and Sessions concurrently!!!

Postby duanef1971 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:09 am

I use the Sessions feature for every shoot whether tethered or not, it gives you a greater flexibility I see over catalogs. You have the folders that are setup for you automatically (you can change the names).

Everything else mentioned by the other member is spot on :)

www.duanefurlongstudios.com
duanef1971

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration