LUT transformation support.

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

LUT transformation support.

Postby NNN637020842542112882 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 am

Hello everyone,,
is it only me or there folks here who require in their workflow support of third party LUTs in 1D or 3D format for example colour grading.

Recently I've got a challenging task to make shots looks like footage shots for a specific client. Moreover actually client was willing to provide me LUTs from his composing application, but it looks like the only option to use them is PhotoShop as C1 does not support LUT`s transformation in any kind.

WBR
NNN637020842542112882

Re: LUT transformation support.

Postby terrylw64 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:50 pm

I replying to this, so I can mark it. I want to hear the responses.

As I just had an issue with Capture One, On1, Affinity Photo, etc... honoring a calibrated for sRGB utilizing 16-bit LUTS. I had to go back and recalibrate utilizing Matrix to resolve my issue.
terrylw64

Postby C-M-B » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Well 3D LUTs are not used by Lightroom or Capture One - but you could surely take a look at the final color graded image and then take your image (providing you shot it under the same light) and the edit it to suit the look.
C-M-B

Postby Uwe-R-from-Btown » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Using Mac.

I answered a thread here: "Capture One 12.x Software for Mac" about the Kodakchrome 64 Preset and searched therefore LUTs as well. So LUTs are available:

Be aware, that, if you have a closer look at LUTs, it has to have the ending name-of-the-LUT.costyle - otherwise you cannot import into Capture One, as far as I understood the tutorials from Alex.
There´s also a 3D-LUT-creator out there, depends on your needs, if you want to purchase this?

There´s a website called "lutify.me" which provides indeed LUTs. There´s also a 3d-LUT-creator out there.
It is just, the file ending should be -.costyle.

Difference between the styles, provided by Capture One and the one I found? Too technical for me at the moment, sorry.

Kind Regards,
Uwe
Uwe-R-from-Btown

Postby eartho » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Yes, there's a way to get LUTs into C1, but it's not pretty and i'm still learning about the process. You need to first convert your .cube or .3dl files to .icc, then drop them into a system folder and relaunch C1. After that, they'll be available in the Base Characteristics>ICC>Other menu. From there, you can create a .costyle preset which will load the .icc

The issue i'm running into is duplicating the workflow/installation which is used by lutify.me. Somehow they're able to save an .icm and .costyle which can both be installed in the same location without having to separate the files into different locations.

With .icc files, you're required to install the .costyle in the location above, but the .icc/.icm needs to go in a completely different directory.

Do the developers ever show up in these forums? It would be really nice to have access to the whitepaper about using this feature.
eartho

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:54 am

eartho wrote:
Do the developers ever show up in these forums? It would be really nice to have access to the whitepaper about using this feature.

This is intended to be a User to User forum.

Sometimes Phase staff will offer advice but if you want to make an enhancement request for them to consider just create a Support Case putting Enhancement Request at the start of the description and then describe what you would like to see.

That way they can collate and manage requests so assess demand/Popularity when deciding which of the ideas from the user base are most popular.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Uwe-R-from-Btown » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 am

Today I found accidentially a book, which may find some interests here, called FLAVR, provided by Apple Books. The author is named Gustav Kollar.

By reproducing/photograph images one may create a LUT for whatever Film was out there except some of them missing.
To create a LUT use either PS or Affinty Photo, I guess.
Seems to be missing at least the KODAKCHROME 64, what the OP asked for. Sorry.

Kind Regards,
Uwe
Uwe-R-from-Btown

Postby eartho » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:01 pm

I've run into a significant issue where .costyle files created from icc within C1 are not usable on another platform. For example, creating costyle on windows makes files which are unusable on osx... does anyone know anything about this?

apologies if you're seen this message 3 times... trying to solve this issue by a deadline.
eartho

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration