How to manage Session Albums

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

How to manage Session Albums

Postby NNN636384382398721267 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Hello,

I am a "Day One" Aperture user who has just moved over to CaptureOne Pro, and this is my first post.

I am learning the program (including the fact that I should have switched far earlier), but cannot figure out how to manage Session Albums. I need to create a hierarchy of nested Session Albums, with top folders and subfolders, but cannot figure out how to do so. If this is possible, I would greatly appreciate instructions.

Thanks in advance
NNN636384382398721267

Re: How to manage Session Albums

Postby mtm59 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Given no rush of replies, I will put in my thoughts as a day 365 C1 user from Aperture.

I suspect that you may have a deeper organisational question to answer. Wanting a hierarchy of albums sounds more like a Catalogue than a Session question (but I am happy to be corrected on this).

From C1 Help: https://help.phaseone.com/en/CO12/Organizing-Photos
"Catalog or Session? Should you be working in a Catalog or a Session, or both?
- Catalogs are best used as semi-permanent projects or for organising large volumes of images.
- Sessions are favoured for daily on-set workflow with direct interface to the computer’s file system."

I create a Smart Album whenever I need a particular subset of images within a Session, rather than a permanent structure of Albums, but no reason that a set of Smart Albums couldn't represent a hierarchy (in Catalogues or Sessions), they are just virtual collections defined by search criteria, eg. Keyword Sports; Keywords Sports + Rugby; Keywords Sports + Rugby + Junior; etc.

My thoughts might draw some comments from those more adept at C1 organisation.

Michael
mtm59

Postby SFA » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:43 pm

NNN636654098655209318 wrote:Given no rush of replies, I will put in my thoughts as a day 365 C1 user from Aperture.

I suspect that you may have a deeper organisational question to answer. Wanting a hierarchy of albums sounds more like a Catalogue than a Session question (but I am happy to be corrected on this).

From C1 Help: https://help.phaseone.com/en/CO12/Organizing-Photos
"Catalog or Session? Should you be working in a Catalog or a Session, or both?
- Catalogs are best used as semi-permanent projects or for organising large volumes of images.
- Sessions are favoured for daily on-set workflow with direct interface to the computer’s file system."

I create a Smart Album whenever I need a particular subset of images within a Session, rather than a permanent structure of Albums, but no reason that a set of Smart Albums couldn't represent a hierarchy (in Catalogues or Sessions), they are just virtual collections defined by search criteria, eg. Keyword Sports; Keywords Sports + Rugby; Keywords Sports + Rugby + Junior; etc.

My thoughts might draw some comments from those more adept at C1 organisation.

Michael

Michael,

If you are happy to use Keywords and smart albums - as it seems you are and in my opinion is likely the most useful approach - you may not need the hierarchy you think you need. Just a set of Smart Albums and consider filters too to augment the smart filters.

Maybe, based on your outline above,

Sports > Rugby Football (To differentiate from places called Rugby for example but there are other ways to do that too.)

Then the terms you might want to use for further refinement of the selection could be applied by filtering - in any combination.

Union, League, Junior, County, Senior, International, Male, Female, 7-a-side, etc.

Anything you need to use regularly - set up a smart album. Anything you don't need regularly just use the most appropriate top level Smart album and then apply a filter or two.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby mtm59 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:43 am

Thanks Grant ... confirms what I thought and how I use Smart Albums. I don't use any hierarchies but the OP was exploring this in C1.

Michael
mtm59

Postby SFA » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 pm

NNN636654098655209318 wrote:Thanks Grant ... confirms what I thought and how I use Smart Albums. I don't use any hierarchies but the OP was exploring this in C1.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Argh, didn't ready your post in detail and thought it was a follow up from the OP!

I really wish there was some more helpful way of generating the forum's default random user name that offered better separation of users (for want of a better term) when reading forum thread posts.

I can understand that some are not interested in modifying the 'name' offered by the auto-creation process and don't want to use anything personal in the posts either but is does make it difficult at times to be sure that one is addressing a specific person relevant to the reply unless one takes more time than is justifiable over the activity!

That said it's good to hear that you are already doing what I suggested here (as others also suggest eleswhere) thus giving the suggestion 'legs' for the benefit of the OP's needs.

Grant
SFA

Postby mtm59 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:45 pm

I agree Grant, the NNN + telephone number IDs are not helpful. I looked at how to change mine, but gave up in frustration. If you know how to do this, I will happily follow instructions.

Michael
mtm59

Postby SFA » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Login to your Phase Account and you can manage your profile.

The name displayed when you post in the forum can be changed there (with an availability check).

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636384382398721267 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 am

Grant and Michael,

I appreciate the responses and I do apologize for not following up on

I will be exploring catalogs at some point, but for my immediate work I'm using Sessions.

Treating each Session as the equivalent of an Aperture Project, I wanted to organize images into a variety of Session Albums, like Albums in Aperture, but cannot figure out a way to organize these Session Albums into folders. Most of my work is events, and some generate 50-90K images.

I take it there is no such functionality in Capture.

Thanks,

Gordon
NNN636384382398721267

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:03 am

Gordon,

The simplest way to manage a session is to import into the sessions ready prepared "Capture" folder and add subfolders to that.

On import you can use the import's Token naming facility to both name files and put them into specific folder - subject the the metadata information available.

50 to 90k images is a lot to try to work with manually but that would also be possible - I just can't imagine how long that would take no matter what software one was using. My events usually work out at between 2000 and 3000 images a day - so 6000 to 9000 images over a 3 days event is possible but mostly they top out at around 6000.

There are many possible approaches but much depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve by making the folders - for example if you are shooting say10k delegates at a conference and you have 9 shots of each and need a folder for each one ... that's a lot of work no matter how you do it. But it might quite structured during shooting which would allow some management control over the process as far as folders and naming are concerned.

If shooting is mostly rather random the needs are likely to be tuned differently.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636384382398721267 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 am

Thanks Grant.

I'm still mystified a bit by program's management behavior. I have been simply importing everything into the top level "Capture" folder. I find that if I try to create a new folder, it seems to move everything out of the Capture folder into a new folder under Session Favorites, and then I can't even see the images in this new folder or in the original Capture folder. So I'm not sure how to create subfolders in the program, unless the dialog box is prompting me to create new physical folders via Finder.

I clearly don't have a good grasp of the program.

The beauty of Aperture was that I could create a Project, complete with multiple nested folders, and then export the structure without the images. Then I would just import images from the new event into this "empty" Project, and then sort the images by dragging them to my already-created albums. But I think there's no way to replicate this workflow, let alone even creating a structure of nested Session Albums.

Oh well.
NNN636384382398721267

Postby SFA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:21 pm

NNN636384382398721267 wrote:Thanks Grant.

I'm still mystified a bit by program's management behavior. I have been simply importing everything into the top level "Capture" folder. I find that if I try to create a new folder, it seems to move everything out of the Capture folder into a new folder under Session Favorites, and then I can't even see the images in this new folder or in the original Capture folder. So I'm not sure how to create subfolders in the program, unless the dialog box is prompting me to create new physical folders via Finder.

I clearly don't have a good grasp of the program.

The beauty of Aperture was that I could create a Project, complete with multiple nested folders, and then export the structure without the images. Then I would just import images from the new event into this "empty" Project, and then sort the images by dragging them to my already-created albums. But I think there's no way to replicate this workflow, let alone even creating a structure of nested Session Albums.

Oh well.

I use subfolders in the automatically created Capture Folder all the time.

Most typically on an even shoot I simple import by day and camera or card and camera - in effect just cresting a complete copy of what is on each card. I can set the folder to import to manually or let C1 create and name them automatically using the token system. Or I can override and do something different for different purposes.

I now have enough memory cards that I tend not to immediately reformat and re-use, preferring to just wait and use them as backup until I really need to re-employ them, by which time I should have a proper and duplicated backup in place.

C1 will automatically provide imported groupings of files purely for convenience. One can manage those however one wishes, preferably from within C1. Folder created by the Import process are automatically tagged as Favourites do give a permanent reference to the folder within the session. One could unlink the folder if one wished by removing the Favourite tag.

Note that you can, in effect, make a folder anywhere a "Favourite" should you wish It does not have to be a folder of images imported to the currently in use session.

Nor do you HAVE TO import images to a session. You could just copy them to a folder of your choice, open the folder in the session and, optionally, tag it as a Favourite and all would be well for editing.

However the Import process allows some additional useful activities as part of the process - in particular naming, creating folders automatically, applying some basic adjustments and styles, creating thumbnails and previews, etc. Generally it gives a head start to your editing activities with the imported images.

If you want to move images from one folder to another you can easily do so using a number of different approaches depending on your preferred way of working. Apply the changes within the session and C1 will keep everything in order and referenced.

If you want to see all of the images in all folders just go to the "All Images" folder. It's really an always provided sort of "Smart Folder" - something like a Smart Album where the data content of an image is used to include (or exclude) it rather than a notional computer folder location. Smart albums select images dynamically as and when the content of an image might change in a way that would include or exclude it from a particular selection rule.

Alternatively C1 offer fixed albums for which you select all of the images you require, wherever they are in the known folder structure related to the session via "favourites" selection, and makes that set an album. You can then add or remove images from that type of album directly.

It is all very flexible and may at first appear to be confusingly so. However once you work out a basis that you like and that works for you all should be well and then you have time, should you so desire, to build on that experience and discover some of the other approaches that are possible and might, from time to time, be useful to you.

Once you have the basics in place and, perhaps, a folder structure format (or formats) that you wish to reuse for future projects you can save a session template for that purpose. Use the "File > Save as Template" menu option for each session structure that you wish to keep available. Name the template meaningfully to you.

Next time you want to create a new session, do so and then employ the Template when offered the opportunity.

If the template is a generic outline but you need to rename folders specifically for the session's use then you can rename the folders in C1 either when creating the session or at some point later.

There are so many workflow possibilities that it is simply not practical to attempt to address them here as part of this reply. There is almost certainly going to be a Help page, video tutorial or webinar somewhere that could cover the ground more quickly and certainly more visually than I can here!

I hope this helps.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration