I'm so lost...

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

I'm so lost...

Postby SCOVARNYC » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:23 am

I have a master folder called "AA PHOTOGRAPHS" that contains a folder for each of my shoots. How do I browse/open/edit without having to redo everything that I've already organized/
SCOVARNYC

Re: I'm so lost...

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 am

One way would be to import the folder into a catalog, including its subfolders. There is an option on import for the destination to be "current location". This means that Capture One will leave your images where they are in their folders, and it won't store the raw files themselves inside the catalog. What it will store inside the catalog are previews of the files (which is what it displays to you in the viewer while you work on files) and information about edits you make. If you have already edited some of the images using Capture One (perhaps in a session) you can check the box to include existing adjustments and they will be brought in.

There are other options - another one which some people favour is to use one large session and navigate to the folders you want using the Library tool in Capture One. Sessions work differently from catalogs, particularly in that with sessions the information about edits, the previews, etc, are NOT stored inside the session database, but in subfolders of the image folders.

You might do well at first to create a small catalog with one subfolder of images just to get the hang of it.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration