Exposure Warnings

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Exposure Warnings

Postby NN635837290318340683UL » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:41 pm

I have the Exposure Warning preferences set to 255 and the Shadow Warning set to 0. I get over-exposure warnings for some images (in particular, after using the Auto Levels function). I have noticed that (1) the image looks perfectly fine after turning off the warning; (2) when I "hover" the cursor over the area being flagged as over-exposed, the values (RGB and Red, Green, Blue) pixel values don't come close to 255 (why are they being flagged?); and (3) viewing the same image in DxO and RawPower (with default RAW processing) don't show the same exposure warnings.

If I have set the exposure warning to 255 shouldn't at least one of the pixel values be 255? I'm starting to loose faith in these warnings.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?

David

Capture One Pro 12.1 on macOS 10.14.5.
NN635837290318340683UL

Re: Exposure Warnings

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:38 am

There was a good explanation of the exposure warnings and the various options you can set for them in a recent Capture One webinar. See this video https://youtu.be/c7pBIQON21M and click on the link to the exposure warnings section in the description below.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration