Working and deleteable catalog

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Working and deleteable catalog

Postby NNN636953428675857138 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm sure I just can't figure out how this system works and it is just me, but hoping someone can help me here. I am not a professional. They way I like to work is to take pictures on a given day. Then I will import them and edit the ones I want and export them (whether original raw file or variant jpeg/raw) to a directory where I save them. What I don't like is having 1000's of pictures just sitting on on my hard drive (somewhere) taking up space. They are obviously there somewhere as I can still see them after the memory card is removed. I like a clean computer and don't want all that trash on it. Sadly I shoot a lot of trash :oops: Perhaps my problem is I have been loading them in one catalog and I need to create a catalog for each and everyday I import. And then perhaps I can just delete the catalog when I am through with it? Would that be an answer for this, or perhaps is there a better way? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
NNN636953428675857138

Re: Working and deleteable catalog

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:46 am

If you are thinking of having a catalog for every shoot, you might do better using sessions (if you are using one of the Pro versions). The typical session set-up is that You
- import your images into the Capture folder of the session,
- choose the images you want to keep and work on - you move those to the Selects folder and adjust them to your taste
- delete images you don't want to keep, and they go in the Trash folder
- output images you want to convert to JPG, TIFF etc
- empty the trash folder once you are sure that you want to permanently delete the images in it.

I suppose that a purist approach would end up with nothing in the Capture folder as it would all have gone to Selects or Trash, though I sometimes end up with some still in Capture because I am not yet sure about them.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:56 am

Ian3 is absolutely correct as usual, especially if you want to use a predefined procedural workflow and separate images you wish to keep from images you expect to delete.

However it's worth just mentioning that Capture One does not force you to adopt this procedure to make things work. It is there for convenience should you wish to use it.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636953428675857138 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Not sure why it was so hard for me to figure out that I needed to delete them after import. My brain just said if I delete them off the SD card then they are deleted. I'm usually better than that. I'll also take your advise on perhaps using sessions instead of catalogs. Again - thanks for taking the time to help me understand.
SLV
NNN636953428675857138

Postby SFA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:50 pm

NNN636953428675857138 wrote:Thanks to both of you for your responses. Not sure why it was so hard for me to figure out that I needed to delete them after import. My brain just said if I delete them off the SD card then they are deleted. I'm usually better than that. I'll also take your advise on perhaps using sessions instead of catalogs. Again - thanks for taking the time to help me understand.

Interestingly - and not wishing to confuse you, but ... - using a Session for C1 it is, given some spare space on your SD card, perfectly possible to simply navigate to the folder on the SD CARD, avoid importing completely, and start to edit.

You could then copy (or import) the images you wish to retain to a disk that is NOT the SD card.

You would now have your selected images and only your selected images on another disk and can copy or back them up for security to another drive.

Your SD could then be formatted since you have selected the images you want and have a secure backup copy if needed.

It is probably much better to copy/import all the files first and THEN do your selecting and binning keeping the SD card as a secure backup just in case the computer fails catastrophically, but the choice is yours.

I think this may be what you were expecting to do?

Not unreasonable but not a typical workflow for C1. There are a number of other possible benefits from importing - like renaming on import for example and automatically applying settings and ITPC information via the use or presets and styles. Also automated distribution to subfolders if required. But it's not absolutely vital to the core process.

However, I would still recommend it.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration