Fuji Film Curves ignore ICC Profile setting.

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Fuji Film Curves ignore ICC Profile setting.

Postby C-M-B » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:08 am

I just noticed an interesting quirk:

Fujis own curve presets (Film Simulations like Provia, Velvia,...) seem to ignore the ICC Profile selection and always use the generic ICC profile.

No matter which ICC profile I select, the result is always absolutely the same when using a specific Fuji curve.
But when I use Film Standard, Film Extra Shadows or Film High Contrast the ICC selection really does matter and has an obvious effect.

I mean of course this is very logical, Fuji would want to use their own profile as a basis for their Film simulations - however I feel that is is poorly (and actually not at all) communicated and one would generally expect the curves to simply use the selected Profile as a starting point...
C-M-B

Re: Fuji Film Curves ignore ICC Profile setting.

Postby David532 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:46 pm

I am a little puzzled by your problem. I am running Windows 10 and Capture One v12. When I open a Fuji X-Pro2 file the Fujifilm X-Pro2 Generic ICC profile is selected and each of the curves in the Curve drop down give different results (most noticeably with the Arcos film simulations :D ).
A thought you are using the Capture One 12 engine not the 11 engine arn't you?
David532

Postby C-M-B » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Yes, each curve gives a differnt result but that result should also depend on the ICC profile used and change when you switch to a different ICC Profile. :)

However, when I select a custom ICC profile (NOT the generic Fuji profile) and a Fuji curve like Velvia, it does not use the custom ICC profile and instead I get the same result as I would get with the generic Fuji ICC profile.
C-M-B

Postby David532 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:11 pm

C-M-B wrote:Yes, each curve gives a differnt result but that result should also depend on the ICC profile used and change when you switch to a different ICC Profile. :)

However, when I select a custom ICC profile (NOT the generic Fuji profile) and a Fuji curve like Velvia, it does not use the custom ICC profile and instead I get the same result as I would get with the generic Fuji ICC profile.

I suspect that the Fuji curves are closely tied to the generic fuji profile and not designed to work with any other ICC profile. I sugest you raise a suport case and, if you do, please report the answer back here.
David532

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration