Simultaneously tether to one Mac, edit/process on another?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Simultaneously tether to one Mac, edit/process on another?

Postby DMS » Wed May 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has *simultaneously* tethered to one Mac while a second Mac edits/processes the captures.

I'm doing a job that is a lot of captures (approximately 50,000 – not a typo) and has a very tight turnaround for all files to be processed as jpegs for client. What I'd like to have setup is a second Mac that connects to my "main" Mac so that I can keep shooting while the client edits the previous shot. Once they make the selects, that same second machine would be used to process the files so that I can keep shooting to the main machine.

In the past I've either stopped the processing while I was shooting or tried to process and tether at the same time to mixed results. Things get pretty laggy.

If anyone has done something like this I'd love to hear.

Many thanks!

DS
DMS

Re: Simultaneously tether to one Mac, edit/process on anothe

Postby cdc » Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 pm

One studio I’ve worked in uses dropsync to sync the capture folder over to digital techs and retouchers, so yes it can be done you’ll just need 3rd party software and a fast network for syncing and transferring.
cdc

Postby cdc » Thu May 23, 2019 1:57 am

I should note that if you were to also sync the captureone cache & settings folders the adjustments in Capture One on the primary computer would overwrite any settings made on the secondary computer. So if your client is editing on the secondary computer you will want to exclude the captureone folder and only sync the raw files.
cdc

Postby DMS » Fri May 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into dropsync and see if that would potentially work. I’m hesitant to rely on the rental studio’s network though, especially considering the substantial number of files that would need to be transferred.

Just remembering that years ago someone told me about networking two Macs together via Ethernet and having the second Mac open the session file at the same time as its being used on the main machine. Can anyone confirm that that works with no issues?

cdc wrote:I should note that if you were to also sync the captureone cache & settings folders the adjustments in Capture One on the primary computer would overwrite any settings made on the secondary computer. So if your client is editing on the secondary computer you will want to exclude the captureone folder and only sync the raw files.
DMS

Postby cdc » Fri May 24, 2019 9:43 pm

I don't have experience doing this but from what I understand you can bridge two Mac's using a thunderbolt cable which would indeed be better than relying on a network.

Not exactly sure how well both computers working off the same session at the same time would work.
cdc

Postby SFA » Sat May 25, 2019 4:01 am

You may gain something from reading the overview description of the capture One Studio version.

https://www.captureone.com/en/products/studio

It should be of interest since you work with Macs.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration