Keeping process recipes between sessions

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Keeping process recipes between sessions

Postby Richard Downs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 am

Hi, I've opted for a session-based workflow with Capture One Pro 12 and recently set up some useful process recipes. What I didn't realise was that my recipe set up was being treated as specific to the session I happened to be in at the time, but my process recipes will be appropriate for any session. Is there anyway of keeping them 'global' or will I need to recreate them from scratch every time I set up a new session?
Richard Downs

Re: Keeping process recipes between sessions

Postby SFA » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:36 pm

That is extremely unusual Richard.

I don't recall ever seeing such a report before.

Windows or Mac?

Do you run more than one session open at the same time?

C1 V12? Which release number? Which mode are you running - Full Pro or something else?

Grant
SFA

Postby OddS » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 am

Richard Downs wrote:...my recipe set up was being treated as specific to the session

I think the full recipe set should be available in any session, but a subset of ticked (enabled) sessions may perhaps vary between sessions. If you have "Show enabled only" ticked, you could try if un-ticking makes any difference.
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby Richard Downs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks both. I'm relieved you both see this as an issue rather than a 'by design' feature as hopefully it means a solution is not far off. To answer Grant's question, I'm on C1 Pro for Sony v12.0.1 (for Mac). I'll will look more closely for tick boxes which I may have overlooked.
Richard Downs

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:53 am

Each session tends to be saved in a way that, in so far as it is possible in a very flexible system, it will be re-opened in the same state that it was closed.

However things like process recipes are indeed normally global and you could well end up with a very long list consisting of some defaults provided by the installation and a lot of your own definitions.

If you have Recipe Proofing turned off you should be able to select the Proof Profile option and be presented with a list of all of the profiles available. There could be a lot (not all are recipes) - the Phase provided profiles, your own profiles and anything provided by other devices and printer drivers and applications.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Richard Downs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Thanks again for the helpful input since I first posted. Time has passed and multiple sessions have come and gone. I'm relieved to say that my process recipes have 'stuck' for a long time and are there waiting for me whenever I create a new session. However, one choice has to be made every single time and that is the subfolder choice in the 'global' Output Location. The default destination is the Output folder automatically created with the new session, but as per David Grover's helpful video, I always want the subfolder value to be the Recipe Name. I add this each time I create a new session - when I remember - but can I convince Capture One to make the subfolder choice part of the default as well?
Richard Downs

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration