Convert RAW > JPEG without exporting?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Convert RAW > JPEG without exporting?

Postby CBF23 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

I generally shoot only RAW, but sometimes there're things where JPEG would suffice. An example would be taking photos of a building and then snapping off a quick shot of a sign in front that won't be processed, but is for my own information to identify what was photographed.

Sometimes I'm on the ball enough to make the in camera switch and then return to RAW. Sometimes I'm too into what I'm doing and I'll forget to switch back, so I generally just keep things RAW only. Other than this, I really don't need SOOC JPEGs so I don't bother having the camera save to the card in both formats.

I'm trying to slim down my library, both from shots I'll never process, shots were I took sufficient coverage and won't be needing every shot, and things like the above example where I don't need a RAW.

Is there a way of converting the RAW > JPEG without having to export, or maybe just export back into my library?
CBF23

Re: Convert RAW > JPEG without exporting?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Going from RAW to JPEG always requires an export.

If you like to include the export in your catalog, you could export to the image location (assuming the images are not inside the catalog folder but outside, a.k.a. referenced). Next, you sync that folder to update the catalog with the added images.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Convert RAW > JPEG without exporting?

Postby OddS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:51 am

CBF23 wrote:...Is there a way of converting the RAW > JPEG without having to export

May I add to Paul_Steunebrink's answer:

Most still cameras converts RAW > JPEG for you and embeds a JPEG preview image in the RAW file. The JPEG can be extracted from the raw file and saved as separate a file. C1 does not provide a JPEG extract function as far as I know, but I never looked for it. I do that with Photo Mechanic myself, but there are several applications that can extract previews (you may find some pointers here https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photog ... jpg-raw-2/ ).

My Nikon cameras embed a full resolution JPEG in the NEF raw file, but it is "basic" quality which is OK for many situations. You are at the mercy of your camera maker though, I believe Sony cameras embed a low resolution JPEG in their RAWs.
--
Odd S.
OddS

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration