Keystone vs. Rotation (and flip)

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Keystone vs. Rotation (and flip)

Postby CBF23 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:22 pm

I find when I want to straighten a building exterior or an interior room shot that I sometimes get better results with one, sometimes with the other. I have to play around to see what's best.

Can anyone explain the difference between how these tools work? What circumstances factor in choosing one over the other?
CBF23

Re: Keystone vs. Rotation (and flip)

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Perhaps the best result is obtained by first straightening the image then applying keystone corrections if needed.

If there is a keystone issue, then remember that verticals at the edges of the frame are no good for straightening by - of course they lean in, or out as the case may be. So I usually try to straighten by reference to something in the centre of the image. After that I apply the keystone correction if I want to.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:08 am

Straighten would be related to correcting a general misalignment of the camera - for example an horizon that is not horizontal but of course might also be used for an equivalent vertical line or even to deliberately rotate the image for artistic effect.

Keystone relates more to perspective than rotation.

https://blog.phaseone.com/how-to-correc ... tone-tool/

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm

I use the Keystone tool a lot. Since it includes rotation during its operation, I use it for rotation purposes as well.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:I use the Keystone tool a lot. Since it includes rotation during its operation, I use it for rotation purposes as well.

But would you use it if all you wanted to do was a quick rotation adjustment on a horizon line?
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm

SFA wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:I use the Keystone tool a lot. Since it includes rotation during its operation, I use it for rotation purposes as well.

But would you use it if all you wanted to do was a quick rotation adjustment on a horizon line?

No
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration