Naming as part of Process Recipe?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Naming as part of Process Recipe?

Postby jhammerstad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi, I sometimes need different names for the same picture, eg. specific naming rules when entering competitions.
As far as I can see I can only choose tokens for naming of the output file in the 'Output Naming' tool and not in the 'Process Recipe' tool. However, when using the 'Output Naming' tool CO uses this setting for all recipes.

Is it in any way possible to control the naming of the output file so that it only applies to one recipe?

Br. Jan

I am using CO 12 on Windows 10
jhammerstad

Re: Naming as part of Process Recipe?

Postby Ian3 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:54 pm

You could create a recipe for a particular competition. In Output naming in the Output tab, one of the tokens you can use is called Recipe Name. You could use that, if you named your recipe appropriately. Or put a name in Job Name such as "XYZ competition" or whatever the rules for that competition say it must be and then use the Job Name token.

Ian

Edited to add: and see this video telling you almost all you want to know about process recipes, including naming options. https://youtu.be/yVnlkTpDGfk
Ian3

Postby NN635085536502500483UL » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks, I understand what you are propossing, but it doesn’t help. First of all I still have recipes where I want to keep the original file name.
But also the name requirements vary from competition to competition. For example some wants the title of the picture (title tag) as filename and others wants photographers name.
All is possible but not just individually for each recipe.
NN635085536502500483UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:07 pm

jhammerstad wrote:(...)
Is it in any way possible to control the naming of the output file so that it only applies to one recipe?

Yes. For this purpose, each Process Recipe has a field for Sub Name on the File tab and what you enter there is unique for that recipe.

Here you enter the value for the token Sub Name that you use in the Output Naming tool. In that tool, you add other tokens, text, sequence number or whatever as prefix or suffix to the Sub Name token.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby jhammerstad » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks, I tried it prevously but couldn't make it work. I'll try again :)
jhammerstad

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 am

jhammerstad wrote:Thanks, I tried it previously but couldn't make it work. I'll try again :)

Success! Keep us posted if you like.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration