Im newbie

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Im newbie

Postby NNN636843290540973443 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:31 am

Hi All, Day three of the learning curve of migrating from Aperture. God it's steep! Trying not to force it into "being Aperture" but treating it as a new tool that is different.

Using 8.1.1 trial on 27" iMac running Yosemite 10.10.2

A couple of questions:

First off, importing from my Olympus E-M1 the image quality is astonishing. Compared to Aperture and LR 5 the colour is richer, less noise and more detail. I had always assumed RAW converters were all about the same. Is C1 applying camera specific algorithms, sharpening, noise reduction etc, and if so where can I find the settings?

Secondly, I have created a metadata preset and saved it but can't find any way of applying it to existing images or using it on import. I'd expect to see a User Preset menus somewhere but I can't find it. Am I missing something really obvious?

Just thought of a third: How do I switch between before and after adjustment views? (Equivalent of keyboard m in Aperture)

Thanks
NNN636843290540973443

Re: Im newbie

Postby Ian3 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:56 am

I don't understand your questions. You say in another post today on a different board that you have been using Capture One 9, and in that post you also refer to the latest version of Capture One as being 11.x, when it isn't. Why do you say you are trialling version 8?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:15 pm

A daily dose of forum spam.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby syncrasy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:A daily dose of forum spam.

That was my first impression, too. Recently I've noticed a flurry of new users posting generic "I need help" or "I'm a newbie" type topics. Curiously, the questions are detailed and product specific, and they don't contain spammy/phishy links, so they don't appear like typical spam. So what do these spammers have to gain from such tactics? Perhaps they're harvesting and reposting posts from another thread, but still, it seems like a lot of work for no apparent payoff.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:57 pm

syncrasy wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:A daily dose of forum spam.

That was my first impression, too. Recently I've noticed a flurry of new users posting generic "I need help" or "I'm a newbie" type topics. Curiously, the questions are detailed and product specific, and they don't contain spammy/phishy links, so they don't appear like typical spam. So what do these spammers have to gain from such tactics? Perhaps they're harvesting and reposting posts from another thread, but still, it seems like a lot of work for no apparent payoff.

Agreed.

However they are suddenly a lot more plausible as genuine posts at first glance and so one might say they are much more sophisticated then such posts were just a few months (or even weeks) ago.

Maybe these are simply development testing, stealth mode.

Once the developers see a steady success rate in avoiding detection - perhaps more likely in some other forums - they may have some other ideas to push through.

Are we seeing AI in action?
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 pm

Perhaps we need a system under which a user’s first half dozen posts only appear after approval by a moderator.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:53 am

We could be heading that way Ian.

The obviously dodgy ones seem to be reported quite quickly and appropriate actions taken by whoever receives the messages.

That may be enough for now unless we start to see some malicious entries that are very well disguised.

There may be some steps that could be taken to trap things at point of posting but I suspect we might get an influx of posts from users who would dislike any additional activities required to make a post.

I suppose one option would be to monitor anyone who does not have a paid for activation.

But it would probably require the overhead of employing someone at least part of their working time to do the monitoring.

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:58 am

SFA wrote:The obviously dodgy ones seem to be reported quite quickly

I'm reporting quite a lot of them!

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:23 pm

Ian3 wrote:
SFA wrote:The obviously dodgy ones seem to be reported quite quickly

I'm reporting quite a lot of them!

Ian

Me too, unless you get there first!
SFA

Postby Keith Reeder » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:12 pm

If the mods simply summarily deleted every posting without a meaningful subject line, honest posters would soon get the message; and the potential spam posts would become a pointless exercise for the spammers.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Indeed, Keith.

But I would be slightly wary of that approach given how many posters may not be very familiar with English at all and could be finding it quite tough to come up with a title line.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration