Drawing masks... iPad support? Preferred tablets?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Drawing masks... iPad support? Preferred tablets?

Postby Reign of Crows » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 am

Hi everyone,

I ditched my mouse for touch pads a few years ago... but the touchpad can be a bit painful when drawing masks, particularly when trying to do really fine work. The setting for "pen pressure control" is always on my mind when I adjust brush settings, so it got me thinking: this would be way easier with a stylus.

Looking around online, everyone is talking about Wacom tablets. Great! What models are compatible with Capture One Pro? I can't find a list anywhere. What model do people prefer to work with?

Or can I skip the Wacom entirely? I already have an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil. It doesn't look like Capture One has an official way to do it, but can I use the iPad to draw the masks? Possibly by extending my display to the iPad...? Not sure if input on the iPad carries over that way, though.

Greatly appreciate any tips you all have.
Reign of Crows

Re: Drawing masks... iPad support? Preferred tablets?

Postby NN132823UL » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:57 pm

I am interested in this topic too!
NN132823UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Do you have a Mac or Windows PC?

In the AppStore for the iPad you can find apps like Duet that make you iPad a screen to your Mac. Have not looked much into it, so maybe someone else can chime in.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Reign of Crows » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:09 am

I'm using a Mac. I do have one of those mirroring apps, useful for turning a laptop (or even a desktop) into a dual-monitor display in a pinch, but I don't recall if input from the iPad is accepted on the computer side... and if it is, I'm not sure if pen input, in particular, is accepted (or accepted as something besides standard mouse/trackpad input). I might give it a try if I can find some time this weekend...
Reign of Crows

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 am

Reign of Crows wrote:I'm using a Mac. I do have one of those mirroring apps, useful for turning a laptop (or even a desktop) into a dual-monitor display in a pinch, but I don't recall if input from the iPad is accepted on the computer side... and if it is, I'm not sure if pen input, in particular, is accepted (or accepted as something besides standard mouse/trackpad input). I might give it a try if I can find some time this weekend...

Good points. I have not look into that as much as well. Looking forward to your discoveries, if any. :wink:
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby ben_US » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Reign of Crows wrote:I'm using a Mac. I do have one of those mirroring apps, useful for turning a laptop (or even a desktop) into a dual-monitor display in a pinch, but I don't recall if input from the iPad is accepted on the computer side... and if it is, I'm not sure if pen input, in particular, is accepted (or accepted as something besides standard mouse/trackpad input). I might give it a try if I can find some time this weekend...

I'd tested this out in the past, and the input was treating simply as clicks and click/drags. It was clumsy at best.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby Reign of Crows » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:37 am

Small update on this topic: Apple had their Worldwide Developer Conference this past Monday, and there was a development that was very exciting for this application. They're calling it "Sidecar," and it will natively allow you to use your iPad as a secondary display to a Mac system. However, it goes beyond the multitude of apps that already have this functionality: instead of just extending a display, it will allow your iPad's Pencil to function as a proper tablet. They cited Photoshop as an application that would be able to make use of this, but they seemed to indicate that any application should be able to do it.

The big question becomes whether Capture One will need to build in anything special to support this, or if it's all being done at the operating system level such that it'll be ready to go from day one. We'll find out this fall!
Reign of Crows

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration