C1 workflow for assessment

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

C1 workflow for assessment

Postby NN636542253050468886UL » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Hello there,

I teach photography to undergrads (using Macs) and we're about to embark on a unit on role of a Digi-op, heavily incorporating C1 and Phase.

I'm looking for a way that students could submit a Session which demonstrates all the skills required of a Digi-op- rating, flagging, adjustments, outputting, etc. without having to deal with 40+ Sessions of multiple raw files and all the drive space that would require.

Is there a simple way for students to package a Session so that they are just submitting good resolution previews within a transferred Session, instead of the raw files? Which will enable us to assess that they have undergone the required steps for each task, but not require multiple terabytes of space to do so?

Much obliged for your help with this,
Matt
NN636542253050468886UL

Re: C1 workflow for assessment

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

In your case I would instruct the students to use catalogs instead of sessions.

With a catalog you can leave the RAW images outside the catalog (a.k.a. referenced). The student sends you the catalog without the images. You do not need them as you can view and browse all previews of the images in the catalog.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: C1 workflow for assessment

Postby NN636542253050468886UL » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you Paul, that makes sense, but I'd rather they steered clear of Catalogs; we're specifically teaching a Session workflow.

Looks like I'll need to get the uni to buy more hard drives.

Many thanks,
Matt
NN636542253050468886UL

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration