Exporting benchmarks v2

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby Whitesnake » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Chad Dahlquist wrote:Whitesnake just want to say thanks for taking the time and posting
really been wanting to get a new macbook and was so curious about the speeds :)
my built pc rips of course but I want a new macbook :) I am a OS X guy way more than a PC and wanted something on location big time

especially with the eGPU !


You‘re welcome.

I think the slowest 6-Core CPU is the best choice, since it is cooler and the whole system is much more silent and there is less thermal throtteling. My eGPU-setup was chosen for the best performance but it should be also silent. I connected the fans of the case to the Vega 56, so they only run if the Vega-fans are spinning. A Vega 64 would be faster, but consumes much more energy and isn‘t as silent. I think more cores in a CPU doesn‘t make the deal, it‘s all about RAM and the GPU since during rendering the CPU isn‘t used 100%.
Whitesnake
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby NN863214 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:28 pm

CraigJohn wrote:I'd love to see what the 8700K and the new 8-core i7 CPUs could do.

Would also like to know what the new Mac Mini with an eGPU can do. Heard the poor thermal paste is really holding the performance of the Mac Mini back.

But I am tempted by the new MacBook Pro now... Just need more money. :)


I have MacMini 2018 with i5 and eGPU with Radeon RX580 (4gb version) and result for CPU + GPU (TIFF) is 30 seconds
NN863214
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby Chad Dahlquist » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 am

Whitesnake wrote:
Chad Dahlquist wrote:Whitesnake just want to say thanks for taking the time and posting
really been wanting to get a new macbook and was so curious about the speeds :)
my built pc rips of course but I want a new macbook :) I am a OS X guy way more than a PC and wanted something on location big time

especially with the eGPU !


You‘re welcome.

I think the slowest 6-Core CPU is the best choice, since it is cooler and the whole system is much more silent and there is less thermal throtteling. My eGPU-setup was chosen for the best performance but it should be also silent. I connected the fans of the case to the Vega 56, so they only run if the Vega-fans are spinning. A Vega 64 would be faster, but consumes much more energy and isn‘t as silent. I think more cores in a CPU doesn‘t make the deal, it‘s all about RAM and the GPU since during rendering the CPU isn‘t used 100%.


agree on the cpu choice from everything I read on the new macbooks for that exact reason :)
I do think for me the 32GB is key also
egpu will be at some point :) for now on location tether and use my main computer I have now for C1 at home but good info on the egpu when I do get one will be when my wife needs a new computer which will be soon and see whats out this spring :)
Chad Dahlquist
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 am

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby Chad Dahlquist » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 am

NN863214 wrote:
I have MacMini 2018 with i5 and eGPU with Radeon RX580 (4gb version) and result for CPU + GPU (TIFF) is 30 seconds

how much mem do you have in it :)

what was the jpg time to please :)

thanks :)
Chad Dahlquist
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 am

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby NN863214 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Chad Dahlquist wrote:
NN863214 wrote:
I have MacMini 2018 with i5 and eGPU with Radeon RX580 (4gb version) and result for CPU + GPU (TIFF) is 30 seconds

how much mem do you have in it :)

what was the jpg time to please :)

thanks :)

32 gb RAM. Ok, today I retest with jpg today
NN863214
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby Productshots » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Scores:

Windows 10 1809

Jpg export
GPU + CPU: 38 sec
CPU only: 69 sec

TIFF export:
GPU + CPU: 22 sec
CPU only: 52 sec

Gigabyte Aorus Pro
Intel 9700K running @ 5Ghz
32GB RAM
NVMe Samsung 970evo 250GB
Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8GB

CO 11.3.1
Productshots
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby NN863214 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:13 pm

Scores:

OS X Mojave 10.14.2

JPG
GPU + CPU: 50 sec
CPU only: 93 sec

TIFF export:
GPU + CPU: 30 sec
CPU only: 69 sec

MacMini 2018
i5 CPU
32 Gb RAM
internal SSD 256 gb
external GPU (with RazerCore X) Gigabyte Radeon RX580 4Gb
CO 12.0.0.270
NN863214
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby NN634981122770474999UL » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:49 pm

JPEG
CPU + GPU 0:47
CPU only 1:46

TIFF
CPU + GPU 0:30
CPU only 1:24

TIFFs reading from NVMe SSD writing at SATA SSD
CPU + GPU 0:30

My system
i7 6700k overclocked to 4.5GHZ to all cores
16 GB RAM
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
SSDs: Samsung 960 Evo (system, CO and CO catalog), Corsair MX550
Windows 10 Pro, CO 10.2.1
NN634981122770474999UL
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby NN634981122770474999UL » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:02 pm

It is interesting, that results from CO12 are almost identical as from CO10 (see my post above)

Capture One 12
JPEG
CPU + GPU 0:46
CPU only 1:48

TIFF
CPU + GPU 0:30
CPU only 1:25
NN634981122770474999UL
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby mkphotomedia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:23 pm

MacBook Pro 2018 (13", 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM)

JPG:
CPU only: 1:46
Internal GPU: 1:52
eGPU (Vega64 8GB, Razer Core X): :51

TIF8, uncompressed:
CPU Only: 3:04
eGPU: 0:26
Didn't bother to bench the internal GPU on this one

CO12, Mojave (10.14.2)
mkphotomedia
Certified Professional
Certified Professional
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:54 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby cdc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Win 10 1809
CO 12.0.1
i9-9900k (no OC)
RTX 2060

I also included the difference between everything on one SSD vs the session & images stored on an HDD

CO12 & Session + Images on one SSD
JPG:
CPU+GPU 40s
CPU 89s

TIFF:
CPU+GPU 21s
CPU 69s

CO12 on SSD/Session & Images on HDD
JPG:
CPU+GPU 45s
CPU 89s

TIFF:
CPU+GPU 32s
CPU 71s
cdc
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:15 am

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby Ario » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 am

Mojave 10.14.4
MacBook Pro 2018 15", 2.9GHz, 32 Gb RAM
Vega 20, Blackmagic Pro (Vega 56)

TIFF CPU+GPU 16 sec
JPEG CPU + GPU 48 sec
Ario
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Milano, Italy

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby CraigJohn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:26 pm

NN863214 wrote:Scores:

OS X Mojave 10.14.2

JPG
GPU + CPU: 50 sec
CPU only: 93 sec

TIFF export:
GPU + CPU: 30 sec
CPU only: 69 sec

MacMini 2018
i5 CPU
32 Gb RAM
internal SSD 256 gb
external GPU (with RazerCore X) Gigabyte Radeon RX580 4Gb
CO 12.0.0.270



This is eye-opening for an i5 CPU. Impressive. ...very impressive. :wink:
CraigJohn
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby Dirk3 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Computer type:
MacMini (Late 2012) 16GB, and OS 10.14.4 (18E226)
--> No Times without iGPU HD 4000... not used?

CPU model: 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
iGPU model: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1.5 GB
eGPU model: Radeon RX 580 8 GB
CO 10.2.1

Scores:

JPEG:
- CPU+iGPU (Intel HD 4000):
- 02min 53 sec (173sec)

- CPU+eGPU (AMD RX580)
- 01min 5sec (65sec)

TIF 8bit:
- CPU+iGPU (Intel HD 4000):
- 02min 40 sec (160sec)

- CPU+eGPU (AMD RX580)
- 00min 39sec (39sec)

Read from ext. USB 3 SSD, output to internal SSD

best regards
User avatar
Dirk3
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby NN634742889189182066UL » Mon May 06, 2019 4:34 pm

a few computers here to compare:

2011 imac (CO12) (high sierra)
3.4ghz i7
8bg ram
amd radeon hd 6970m

jpg:
-cpu 2:49
-gpu 1:49

tiff:
-cpu 2:29
-gpu 1:35

its odd, I would say that the GPU times are the same simply because I am CPU bound, but CPU usage is not 100% consistently. This is also an older system with ddr3 ram, curious if that has some effect? Overall no hardware is consistently at 100% so tough to find a bottleneck at the moment and trying to plan a new build.

I'll try and upload same machine but windows boot here soon.


hackintosh (CO11) (running mojave)
xeon e3-1246v3 (essentially an i7-4970)
tested with both a rx580 and a vega 64

JPG:
-CPU 2:15
-rx580 1:07
-Vega64 1:06

TIFF:
-CPU 1:53
-RX580 0:36
-Vega64 0:34
NN634742889189182066UL
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MST1 and 3 guests