Watermark - Scale with Crop?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Watermark - Scale with Crop?

Postby SistersCountry » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:25 am

Is there anyway to have a watermark shrink to a relative scaled size when a image has been tightly cropped?
SistersCountry

Re: Watermark - Scale with Crop?

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Text or graphic (mostly out of interest ....)?

An output recipe is normally likely to be set up for a specific output size and so, typically, one would think of the Watermark being set up to suit that size and scaled accordingly.

In some situations using Text the choice of font size will be important.

In a batch process situation with everything ostensibly being output for the same size the watermark might be expected to be the same for all images using that recipe.

The Exception comes if you are using "Never Upscale" in which case the watermark will, as far as I can ascertain, always have the scale set to the target output size even though actual image, in the absence of upscaling, will be smaller in one or both dimensions.

In that situation one might want to group images of the same critical dimensions (usually width?) together into the their own batches and tweak the watermark settings to suit each batch.

For individual images there are opportunities to position and scale the watermark before committing to the processing queue.

I may have missed something so if anyone else knows of a different approach I would love to hear about it. I have to say that I thought at some point in the past I had successfully seen scaled text output when using "Never upscale" but it seems I must have observed something else.

Does this help at all?

Grant
SFA

Postby SistersCountry » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks Grant. It is a bit of a help. It does reinforce to me a bit that the discipline of having different recipes for lots of different image types seems to be pretty ubiquitous with C1 users.

I am hoping to be able to transition to C1 from my longtime Lightroom workflow as on my Sony cameras I really do prefer C1's Raw treatments. I am still in the pretty early stages of working through how to use C1 the best at this point.

I am shooting with a pretty high res (42mp) body and I shoot a lot of events and activities where it is natural for me to want to crop out an arbitrary sized section of an image and not necessarily to a 'stock' size. This may leave me with a huge mix of crop ratios in a batch I may want to send off to a client as one export or post somewhere. As I have 7952x5304 to work with I have the luxury of being able to pull out a pretty small region of a photo and have it still be of 5x7 or 8x10 quality

With Lightroom I can select the watermark to expand or contract to take up say 25% of the width of the photo and it will give me that 25% coverage even if what I am outputting is just a small section of the original. LR can adjust the watermark to simply correlate as a percentage of whatever the cropped output is.

With C1 it seems to just consider the original file and there is not option for a relative adjustment that is tied to the actual size of the variant being processed. Unfortunately having to filter and group by all the possible cropped sizes and then to make sure that you have a process defined for them will really slow down and complicate a process that is a no-brainer in Lightroom. I was hoping that I was just missing this type of option somewhere. Seems like it could be an extremely useful (and hopefully not difficult) enhancement to C1 if it was available. It will be a big thorn for me the way I work unfortunately.
SistersCountry

Postby Grant Kernan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:49 pm

I have a slightly smaller 36 megapixel camera...but not a Sony.
For my watermark I tile my logo 4 across 5 down and save it as a 4x6x660dpi png. I often crop and then simply scale and adjust opacity. Works well but I do have to adjust each crop and then output it.
Grant Kernan

Postby Keith Reeder » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:35 pm

I've long considered watermarking in Capture One to be fundamentally broken in direct comparison to Lr (and to any other software I own that provides a watermark capability) and the idea of having multiple recipes to account for different image orientations and effectively infinite numbers of arbitrary crops (I'm a wildlife photographer, so I have much the same problem you face with your event photography) is frankly preposterous.

I was fighting against this same issue back in 2014:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16182&p=76330&hilit=watermark+size&sid=c8a6656caec4594ade53ef2472a895a0#p76287
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:I've long considered watermarking in Capture One to be fundamentally broken in direct comparison to Lr (and to any other software I own that provides a watermark capability) and the idea of having multiple recipes to account for different image orientations and effectively infinite numbers of arbitrary crops (I'm a wildlife photographer, so I have much the same problem you face with your event photography) is frankly preposterous.

I was fighting against this same issue back in 2014:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16182&p=76330&hilit=watermark+size&sid=c8a6656caec4594ade53ef2472a895a0#p76287

If you are using arbitrary crops, as I do very often, it's not perfect but potentially usable for the purpose in most situations without too much messing around.

If you are actually outputting to a fixed size with a specific and persistent purpose in mind I don't see a problem with a persistent recipe concept.

XX% of a random crop size on any orientation should be enough of a "discussion point" to keep the forum running for years ...

;)

Grant
SFA

Postby NN636129985606076951UL » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Here's my solution, which seems to hold up across all cropped and uncropped pictures to maintain output to approximately 5MB jpg, without loss of image quality but keeps the watermark from enlarging or changing location with the crop:

Under 'Process Recipe' Basic:
Format: jpeg
Quality: 100
ICC profile: sRGB
Resolution: 300 px/in
Scale: Long edge
3500 px

If I want the output jpeg to be larger or smaller, I change the long edge pixel size but leave the image quality to 100. Then I set the 'watermark' to text in pixels to a specific font, size, opacity, etc and then location by horizontal/vertical; the size is any combination of font size and scale that works (I use 72 font with 108 scale). This should work for image watermarks as well. On a large batch process, adjusting the watermark size for every different crop would be a huge waste of time!
NN636129985606076951UL

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration