Invisible Parent ?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Invisible Parent ?

Postby NN635849091599633860UL » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Can any help ?
I close C1 and later try to re-open it and get message saying "No because C1 is already running" . The only way is to turn off the pc & start again. Also in C1 if often get a panel saying "Invisible Parent". Maybe the two are connected...Don't know. Having closed C1 I looked in the 'Task Manager and indeed there is C1 running.
How can I solve this. It is a pain to have to turn off the pc each time I won't to re-load C1
Thanks for advise
P.S. running windows 7
NN635849091599633860UL

Re: Invisible Parent ?

Postby ClauS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 pm

I've experienced this kind of error (C1 is already running) only when trying to run CO again immediately after closing. I can't know what's happening in your case, if it's actually doing something in background (like generating previews if you've imported a lot of images) but, since you find its process running in task manager, have you tried to kill it instead of a complete restart of your PC. Usually it should be enough.
Last edited by ClauS on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClauS

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:26 am

C1 will typically be working for a few seconds after it seems to disappear from the screen.

If you are running with catalogs and have a backup event when closing the catalogue that may also take some time. NOt being a catalogue user I can't offer much on that subject.

However I have seen this in random situations from time to time - pushing my machine's memory by running multiple applications may be a factor in that, not sure - and it can tend to repeat for subsequent openings and closes.

On a Windows PC I suspect this might have something to do with the handling of temporary files and memory. It is possible to end up with the application (not just C1) waiting for input that will never arise and picking up the same state when you re-open it - or rather when you com to close it again.

I usually try a double re-boot of the (Windows) PC, in restart after the other without opening C1 and then see what happens after running C1 after that.

Also be aware that if you are working with files stored on an external drive there is always the potential for soe sort of PC to Drive comms problem that may just be making the final close activity very slow at first close.

All I can suggest is that yoy try those options and see what happens.

Maybe also read the log file if you are into that sort of technical digging?

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635849091599633860UL » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks ClauS & SFA. Very helpful. The Invisible Parent warning still occurs but I can live with that as it does not effect the workflow, although it should not happen. Re: being unable to re-start C1 I have made several tests based on you advice. Reading Task Manager C1 uses 1,041,596 kb when running normally and after closing C1 is still there reading 2,680 kb so part of C1 has not closed. Testing if I tried to re-open C1 too quickly I left 1 hour before re-opening and still same problem. I tried again having disconnected the external drives and emptying windows temp files, no difference. I open/closed C1 again and wiped the file from the Task Manager and C1 re-opened fine. So i will plod on doing that for the moment. I suspect that my pc (old) maybe the problem being 4gb RAM, 2.66ghz . It started when i imported 450 photos from a shoot using Fuji XT2 full RAW with already 2500 photos in the Catalogue. By sheer coincidence am awaiting delivery of a new pc with 16gb RAM, 3.6ghz, 250gb ssd for programme files and 3Tb HD...should spead things up and maybe solve the problem of C1 not closing properly...will see...in the meantime thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
MCusty
NN635849091599633860UL

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 pm

NN635849091599633860UL wrote:Thanks ClauS & SFA. Very helpful. The Invisible Parent warning still occurs but I can live with that as it does not effect the workflow, although it should not happen. Re: being unable to re-start C1 I have made several tests based on you advice. Reading Task Manager C1 uses 1,041,596 kb when running normally and after closing C1 is still there reading 2,680 kb so part of C1 has not closed. Testing if I tried to re-open C1 too quickly I left 1 hour before re-opening and still same problem. I tried again having disconnected the external drives and emptying windows temp files, no difference. I open/closed C1 again and wiped the file from the Task Manager and C1 re-opened fine. So i will plod on doing that for the moment. I suspect that my pc (old) maybe the problem being 4gb RAM, 2.66ghz . It started when i imported 450 photos from a shoot using Fuji XT2 full RAW with already 2500 photos in the Catalogue. By sheer coincidence am awaiting delivery of a new pc with 16gb RAM, 3.6ghz, 250gb ssd for programme files and 3Tb HD...should spead things up and maybe solve the problem of C1 not closing properly...will see...in the meantime thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
MCusty

As I recall 4GB RAM is less than the minimum recommended.

Certainly wait and try the new machine before coming to any conclusions.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration