Next image after adjustment

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Next image after adjustment

Postby NN635128126867769016UL » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 pm

I use the cursor keys to move between images, but if I've just made an adjustment, the cursor keys don't respond until I click the background or the image. Is there a shortcut key that gets around this?

It's a small thing, but I really like shortcuts and having to click on the image before being to advance is annoying, especially when going through a lot of photos, such as a wedding.
NN635128126867769016UL

Re: Next image after adjustment

Postby SFA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 pm

NN635128126867769016UL wrote:I use the cursor keys to move between images, but if I've just made an adjustment, the cursor keys don't respond until I click the background or the image. Is there a shortcut key that gets around this?

It's a small thing, but I really like shortcuts and having to click on the image before being to advance is annoying, especially when going through a lot of photos, such as a wedding.

I think it depends upon the adjustment you have just made - or at least that is what I find using Windows and I would guess it is broadly similar with Mac.

In other words If the adjustment tool used has some sort of facility to adjust using, say, left or right arrow keys then the tool adjustment has focus for using those keys and will be working with that tool until you select something else.

If not, or if you move focus elsewhere, then the cursor keys allow you to move through the images BUT ALSO presents the image at the point of your last activity for it if there has been some previous activity.

So, for example, if you are editing and image and open a tool such as Exposure and adjust the Exposure using the slider or the value field that field remains active for cursor action changes until you move the cursor ot another tool or close (Minimise) the Exposure tool.

Ctrl + Cursor Key of choice (using Windows) will act on the browser and allow advance or backup through the browser display even if the Exposure tool is still active.

One slightly odd point is that there is no visual indication of which adjustment is active in which tool - other than things apparently changing on screen if using the cursor keys to change image but nothing appears to be happening. For some tools the default slider adjustment as applied via a cursor control key can be so subtle that it goes unnoticed.

That said the fact that I have only just registered that particular strangeness probably means that it's not a major challnge once one is used to the overall interface.

So I thin CTRL + required arrow key is probably the best option to make a habit for your needs.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration