Multi-computer workflow (mobile to desktop)without re-import

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Multi-computer workflow (mobile to desktop)without re-import

Postby CalebGiki » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Hey guys,
I may not have figured out how to do this yet, it may not be easily possible yet, but either way.

I've got a laptop that I take with me to shoots, I'd like to be able to process/tag/rate the catalog while on the go(without network access) and then sync the mobile catalog with my main catalog on my workstation whenever I get home, that way if I do any work in the field it'll save me time later while working on my workstation.

Is it already possible to sync the catalogs whenever I bring my laptop onto my workstations local network?

Anybody with any ideas/current set ups similar to what I'd like to do?

Thanks,
Caleb

Edit: forum rules recommended I include that I use windows machines not macs.
Last edited by CalebGiki on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalebGiki

Re: Multi-computer workflow (mobile to desktop)without re-im

Postby David532 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:35 pm

CalebGiki wrote:Hey guys,
I may not have figured out how to do this yet, it may not be easily possible yet, but either way.

I've got a laptop that I take with me to shoots, I'd like to be able to process/tag/rate the catalog while on the go(without network access) and then sync the mobile catalog with my main catalog on my workstation whenever I get home, that way if I do any work in the field it'll save me time later while working on my workstation.

Is it already possible to sync the catalogs whenever I bring my laptop onto my workstations local network?

Anybody with any ideas/current set ups similar to what I'd like to do?

Thanks,
Caleb

You might find this Capture One Blog by David Gower useful
https://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-catalogs-get-the-best-of-both-worlds/
David532

Postby cdc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:39 pm

I assume when you say that you don't want to "re-import" is that you want the work you do in the field to be transferred over to your desktop?

I think your best bet is to have a Catalog on your desktop and use sessions in the field and import your sessions into the catalog, all of your adjustments & ratings will transfer over.

Alternatively you could not work with a catalog and move to a workflow that uses sessions only, then you would just need to copy the session folder over to the desktop and continue working there, no re-importing involved.
cdc

Postby CalebGiki » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 pm

David532 I think I'll end up doing something like this.

cdc wrote:I assume when you say that you don't want to "re-import" is that you want the work you do in the field to be transferred over to your desktop?

I think your best bet is to have a Catalog on your desktop and use sessions in the field and import your sessions into the catalog, all of your adjustments & ratings will transfer over.

Alternatively you could not work with a catalog and move to a workflow that uses sessions only, then you would just need to copy the session folder over to the desktop and continue working there, no re-importing involved.

That seems like a very decent option, do you know if capture one saves the already generated thumbnails from the sessions, for use in the catalog?

Thanks Guys!
CalebGiki

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration