Number of images in a smart album

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Number of images in a smart album

Postby Ian3 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Is there a way of getting Capture One to show the number of images in a smart album alongside the album title? For instance I have a smart album called Birds which picks up all the images for which the keywords include the term "Bird". Ordinary albums show the number of images they include, but smart albums don't seem to.

Ian
Ian3

Re: Number of images in a smart album

Postby SFA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Is this a Mac feature Ian? And Sessions?

The Windows version only shows the counts for the filters and for the number of images selected for the browser - which may be less than available if filtered though if any additional filter is applied that will normally be indicated next to the count number. Now there is nothing so my recollection may be wrong. I, personally, don't find it a problem as I can see the number somewhere.

That said I do seem to recall seeing the count numbers for all folders in a session folder/album was never sure they were truly representative. Smart albums, being dynamic, are very much susceptible to changes in the content selected so the info in the browser or filters is satisfactory for my needs.

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:01 am

Grant

Looking into it further, I don't see numbers of images against albums smart or otherwise in a session. I have usually (like you I think) worked only in sessions for years, but with the impending demise of Media Pro, I've been getting into catalogues. I have created MP catalogues for each year from my master MP catalogue, and imported them into a single Capture One catalogue (on the theory that a year's worth at a time might be a more manageable thing for the system than 30,000 images all at once.) Each year's import (and each "catalog set") from MP turns up as a "user collection" in C1, with the number of images against it. And if I create a new album in the catalogue by hand, and drag some images to it, it seems to show the number of images against the album name.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Ah Ha!

You blindsided me by playing with catalogues! :wink:

I think my occasional experiments with catalogues would be where I noticed the numbers too.

A long way back I have a memory (probably false) of smart albums keeping a count of associated images but as they are real time interactive searches (for all intents and purposes) the potential overhead of keeping up with the count (in real time, second by second) would offer some challenges - especially if the album used, for example but not limited to, keywords as part of its selection.

Based on a single parameter that is unlikely to change often per image - say image date - would not be too much of a challenge to keep a running count of additions and deletions. But if it gets much more complicated than that there could be potential for a significant overhead in keeping the numbers in line in a large catalogue with a significant number of smart albums.

Whether or not things have changed over time I don't know. Checking could be a challenge - would probably have to run and older version of C1 with an older unconverted catalogue.

What does MediaPro do?

Grant
SFA

Postby RobiWan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Ian3 wrote:Is there a way of getting Capture One to show the number of images in a smart album alongside the album title?

Its not possible at this time. You can create a feature request - maybe Phase One will implement it in next version.
RobiWan

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration