Looking for a STYLE

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Looking for a STYLE

Postby NNN636650990580151357 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am

Well after decades in the business I should have found one by now !!
But as a pro photographer I have always tried to adapt my style (note style in lower case) to my clients needs or requests.
Fortunately this has usually required full colour range 'normal' looking pictures.
However one of my favourite clients has asked me to supply some pictures with a different 'look'
I am happy to give it a go and this is where I think a STYLE may help.(note capitalisation to indicate a C1 plugin)
They are after a slightly dreamy, soft feel that is typified by some baby photographers
See the sample images here: https://ibb.co/caBCQe
My normal style is the pic of the boy and the other one is the look the client is after.
So anyone out there with STYLES experience know of a "one click wonder" solution.
I'm sure I could tinker around for ages trying to replicate the look but if there is something off the shelf that would give me a good starting point I would be happy to try it.
NNN636650990580151357

Re: Looking for a STYLE

Postby NNN636650990580151357 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:00 am

Any ideas ?
Anybody ??
NNN636650990580151357

Postby cdc » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:05 pm

To my eye the difference between the two images has much more to do with lighting than it does post processing. The shot of the boy looks like studio work with strobes. The shot on the left of the woman and child looks like natural window light with a good amount of fill and exposed a bit on the bright side, which gives a little bit a washed out look with desaturated colors.

I think if you're trying to get from the picture of the boy to the picture of the woman and child changing your shooting style will get you much closer than any style pack or post processing would.
cdc

Postby gusferlizi » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:31 pm

$5 USSR/East German lens?
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby SFA » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Change the colour base in the studio, simplify the backgrounds, use mainly pastel colours, desaturate the strong colours used to add focus or structure to the image and go for soft focus or, as already suggested, a cheap but interesting lens. The C1 clarity tool, set to negative values, may help a little it you don't have a soft lens to use.
SFA

Postby Pixcels » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes of course I am aware that my shooting style will have to be much 'flatter' and less directional from the lighting point of view.
I have been tinkering with the negative clarity adjustments on some shots and that definitely helps as does the desaturation of intense colours.
To be honest it's not a style I particularly like, but "Client is King"; whatever she wants, I endeavour to produce :D :lol:
Perhaps after a trial shoot I will have nailed down all the variables I need to adjust and be in a position to create the STYLE myself.
Pixcels

Postby Ivan E.M. » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

As far as Styles are concerned I would have a look at C1 Natural Styles, especially the Lifestyle and Fashion collections. But you can also use LUTs. Lutify Me does offer a complete set and the ones from their Skin Tone Manipulations collection (like Nihau) would serve your purpose I guess.

Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby Pixcels » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks Ivan - LUTs !?
Didn't know they were available for C1.
Are they different to Styles/Presets ?
Their installation seems to be the same as for STYLES
I'm going to download their samples and see how they perform.
Pixcels

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Pixcels wrote:Thanks Ivan - LUTs !?
Didn't know they were available for C1.
Are they different to Styles/Presets ?
Their installation seems to be the same as for STYLES
I'm going to download their samples and see how they perform.

Just marketing wank. '3D LUT', among other things, has been completely bastardised.

Styles as a whole are a scam tbh.

Edit: retraction; "Nah, they're not LUTs. "
Last edited by gusferlizi on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby Ivan E.M. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Pixcels wrote:Are they different to Styles/Presets ?

You probably have figured it out by now. LUTs are in fact ICC-profiles that don't alter the adjustment sliders in Capture One. And they can't be applied to layers. While Styles are a combination of several adjustments that can be applied to layers. These adjustments are reflected in the sliders.

Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby gusferlizi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Aha!

Seeing the youtube videos applying 'styles' lead me to overlook that they're injecting ICC profiles.

I'll therefore retract my "Nah, they're not LUTs."

Cheers
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration