Question about why my catalog is so huge...

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Question about why my catalog is so huge...

Postby FirstName » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:05 pm

Hello,

I was trying to clear some space on my Mac today and noticed that my C1 catalog is taking up a big chunk of space. Under the Library dropdown in C1, next to "All Images" is says I have 29,047 images, but under "folders" dropdown it says I have 1246 images In Catalog. My catalog size is 131GB and when I look at the catalog with DiskWave, it shows that I have 58GB of Originals and my cache is 47GB. I keep all of my files on external drives, so I'm confused about why there would be full size originals stored in the catalog.

When I import images(from external disk), I keep the destination set to Current Location. Am I doing something wrong? Just trying to make sense of why it's so huge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
FirstName
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Question about why my catalog is so huge...

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:00 am

I looks like you have 1246 files that are managed by Capture One and remain in the catalog. You can drag them to any of the referenced files folders that appear below the managed files list.
NN635680879799322049UL

Re: Question about why my catalog is so huge...

Postby ben_US » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Also, check what size your Cache Preview Image Size is set to. The catalog will contain your preview files (.cop) and these are generated to the wide dimension set here. If it's larger than your monitor's resolution, you're generating previews that are excessively large and storing them in the catalog.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration