Rolling back Capture One to return to LR

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Rolling back Capture One to return to LR

Postby NN635725570189434075UL » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 am

I have a problem that renders Capture One useless for me. My existing (very large) collection of images follows a simple tree folder hierarchy which looks like year/month/day (YYYY/MM/DD). So an image taken on the 12th of December 2012 would in the folder 2012/12/24/image.NEF

This lets me find anything very quickly on a date basis combined with keywords.

On attempting to migrate from Lightroom to C1, I've found it impossible to be able to browse through this folder structure in a catalog on C1. If I click on a year, I see nothing as C1 doesn't work its way down the folder hierarchy to show all images in that year. when I narrow by month, I see nothing unless there happen to be images in that direct folder. I can only see images if I navigate manually to the specific day.

This makes C1 impossible and pretty much useless for me to use unless I abandon my years long folder structure and, I guess, flatten it to somehow make all the images visible to C1.

Unfortunately this means I am deleting C1 from my system and moving back to Lightroom. I would rather not do this, but this massive regression in functionality isn't workable or acceptable for me. I have checked on support and forums and there seems no way around it. Reorganising more than a decades worth of images isn't practical (and shouldnt be).

I had high hopes for getting out of the Adobe ecosystem, but this lack of functionality in C1 is a deal-breaker.

If there is any workaround or fix planned in future to address this, I'd love to know.
NN635725570189434075UL

Re: Rolling back Capture One to return to LR

Postby David532 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 pm

This is one of the great drawbacks of Capture One. Please raise a support case it may help in the long run but the only immediate work round I can think of is to use the quite powerful filter tools.
David532

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm

NN635725570189434075UL wrote:I have a problem that renders Capture One useless for me. My existing (very large) collection of images follows a simple tree folder hierarchy which looks like year/month/day (YYYY/MM/DD). So an image taken on the 12th of December 2012 would in the folder 2012/12/24/image.NEF

This lets me find anything very quickly on a date basis combined with keywords.

On attempting to migrate from Lightroom to C1, I've found it impossible to be able to browse through this folder structure in a catalog on C1. If I click on a year, I see nothing as C1 doesn't work its way down the folder hierarchy to show all images in that year. when I narrow by month, I see nothing unless there happen to be images in that direct folder. I can only see images if I navigate manually to the specific day.

This makes C1 impossible and pretty much useless for me to use unless I abandon my years long folder structure and, I guess, flatten it to somehow make all the images visible to C1.

Unfortunately this means I am deleting C1 from my system and moving back to Lightroom. I would rather not do this, but this massive regression in functionality isn't workable or acceptable for me. I have checked on support and forums and there seems no way around it. Reorganising more than a decades worth of images isn't practical (and shouldnt be).

I had high hopes for getting out of the Adobe ecosystem, but this lack of functionality in C1 is a deal-breaker.

If there is any workaround or fix planned in future to address this, I'd love to know.

Is the C1 filter system of no use to you?

In an analogy using an office filing system, you do not need to know which filing cabinet a document is in, nor which drawer in that cabinet nor which folder in that draw.

The search can, given minimal information, find even misfiled images.

All of which is why is it is provided.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the Filters options under the Library Tab and, if necessary, tweak which of the default filters are visible to you, you will find you can do exactly what you want to do without the need to navigate through a folder structure.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby David532 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Yes as I suggested this is a way of doing it but is not ideal if you have a deeply nested file structure. For instance my holiday pictures are in a structure like RAW masters\holidays\ Orkney\ 2017_05_23. In Lightroom I could select at any of those levels and all the pictures at that level would show For instance if I click on holidays all my many thousand pictures would show in the browser while if I click on the date only pictures taken that day show in the browser. Further the file directory drop down shows the number of pictures at every level which is very handy. What the OP is asking for is for a similar functionality to be implemented in Capture One.
David532

Postby David532 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm

David532 wrote:Yes as I suggested this is a way of doing it but is not ideal if you have a deeply nested file structure.

Sorry I answered the question without testing if my answer was correct - it wasn't you can't Search by Folder or Sub Folder. This is ridiculous, unless I have comprehensively keyworded the only way I can, for instance, select all my Avebury pictures which are in 2 dated sub-folders of D:/Pre2015 RAW masters/Ancient Monuments/Avebury is to open each sub folder individually select all the images in it and add to a user collection. What is wrong with clicking on Avebury and seeing the contents of both folders in the browser? It is things like this which make me think I made a big mistake in closing my Adobe accounr and going down the Capture One + Affinity Photo route.
David532

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:34 pm

David,

Are you saying that all your Avebury photos are in 2 sub folders under the Avebury folder? I.e. Not down a completely separate folder hierarchy on the D: drive?

I just want to confirm that I have understood correctly.

Grant
SFA

Postby WPNL » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:43 pm

I know it's not a real solution but maybe you can use Phil's EXIF tool to generate the EXIF / tag info for / into the images and use this in Capture one. (I personally would investigate this before going back to LR).
Good luck!
WPNL

Postby David532 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

SFA wrote:David,

Are you saying that all your Avebury photos are in 2 sub folders under the Avebury folder? I.e. Not down a completely separate folder hierarchy on the D: drive?

I just want to confirm that I have understood correctly.

Grant

Yes D:/Pre2015 RAW masters/Ancient Monuments/Avebury/2015-06-23 and D:/Pre2015 RAW masters/Ancient Monuments/Avebury/2013-01-07
In Lightroom if I select Avebury I see the content of both folders in the browser, if I select Ancient Monuments I see the content of my Stonhenge folders as well as the Avebury folders.
I can't do this in CO.
David532

Postby IanL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 pm

I really miss the display of the contents of all sub folders under a selected folder too.

To the OP you can create smart collections that show all the images for a particular year. Your folder structure is the same as mine and to work around that I created smart collections for 2011, 2012 etc.

To @David532 you could do the same if all your ancient monument images (from Avebury, Stonehenge etc.) all have a keyword such as "ancient monument". Then you can create a smart collection that shows all images with that keyword.

Just to set expectations I find that smart collections do not perform as fast as the display all images in all sub folders does in LR. It is very helpful and I will live with it as a solution while I hope that C1 implements the show all images in all sub folders feature one day. Which I will be requesting too - I have a list of first impressions and requests that I am working on.
IanL

Postby NNN636303894707373069 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:44 pm

"I really miss the display of the contents of all sub folders under a selected folder too"

How is it that this stunningly obvious feature isn't already IN the product?!

At least I don't feel quite so dumb now as a new C1 user to still be organizing everything in LR...

The problem is this year of C1 is kind of like an extended trial for me. If I still don't feel comfortable managing my assets in C1 after this first year's subscription, I'll have to ditch it and go back exclusively to LR. :/
NNN636303894707373069

Postby Chad Dahlquist » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:40 am

late to this

I hate C1 for managing files and still use LR
cost wise it comes with PS or PS comes with LR :) so not a huge deal

the other thing I do not like is the image you are on being at the end and not seeing whats coming like in LR :)

but the output I do think is nicer :)
Chad Dahlquist

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration