white balance issue on jpg taken at night, outdoors

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

white balance issue on jpg taken at night, outdoors

Postby NNN636286928999838177 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm

I've been using LR for a number of years now but want to migrate to C1 but am really new to C1. I have a picture taken at night, outdoors, on the RiverWalk in San Antonio around Christmas-time. The photo is a jpg file. Most of the lighting comes from street lamps, which gives the image a nasty yellow/red cast. I've tried the Auto-Adjust tool in the toolbar at the top, left of the screen (a capital "A" with an arrow on the bottom) but it didn't come close to fixing the problem. The settings for that auto-adjust have White Balance enabled.

I tried adjusting the white balance globally with the White Balance slider on the Exposure tool but can't get it right there either. I also tried the auto-adjust ("A") button on the White Balance tool and it made little difference. So far, none of the white balance adjustments I have tried have made much of a difference - the color balance is mostly unchanged.

In LR using this same jpg, I can go to the Develop module, click on the White Balance dropdown, select the "Tungsten" preset and, wa-la, white balance is very good. Instant white balance correction. Why can't I get the white balance settings in C1 to fix my color cast and what can I do to fix my color cast>
NNN636286928999838177

Re: white balance issue on jpg taken at night, outdoors

Postby cdc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:03 am

Care to upload the photo?

I suspect you're aware but adjusting white balance on RAW files as opposed to JPGs is the better option. That said I can make an improperly white balanced jpg look much better in Capture One so I'm not sure why you are having trouble. Auto white balance isn't that pleasing at times but the slider works ok, or the white balance selector tool.
cdc

Re: white balance issue on jpg taken at night, outdoors

Postby SFA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm

As cdc said, use the White balance selector tool.

Pick somewhere that should be mid grey if you can. Otherwise somewhere that should be white.

If you have mixed light sources you may need a layer of two with localised white balance.

Starting from a RAW file is always better whenever possible - as you probably know. (And as already mentioned by cdc.)

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration