Workflow - multiple variants for different media?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Workflow - multiple variants for different media?

Postby Cairn House » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 pm

My preferred lab asks for images to be submitted with embedded sRGB profile. I'm on-screen proofing my image with the specific profile they provide and adding any required changes to colour, contrast etc before exporting.
Do I need to create a new variant in order to preserve the original file or is there another way of doing this? I could end up with multiple versions, one for each output media - is there a means of identifying each for future reference with a text field or should I add something to the metadata?

Thanks
Cairn House

Re: Workflow - multiple variants for different media?

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 pm

If I understood you well and if you are likely to use multiple output targets for a single image and then potentially return to that image and need to repeat the process time after time, then yes, multiple variants each with a keyword entry to identify it probably makes the most sense.

However, if your repeat orders are always going to be from the same previously processed file - perhaps already output and saved as a jpg or whatever is suitable - then simply create the file once as an output and save it ready for re-use as required. You can name it accordingly of simply store it somewhere where the name of the "store" tells you which print supplier is the intended target.

HTH.

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby Cairn House » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks Grant, yes, your first assumption is correct, single image, multiple print media, and possibility of repeat orders.
Cairn House

Postby SFA » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Cairn House wrote:Thanks Grant, yes, your first assumption is correct, single image, multiple print media, and possibility of repeat orders.

Then I think process to jpg (or whatever file you and the print provider prefer) using C1's output recipes to name, size, sharpen, compress, etc., and distribute and process accordingly for each image to a folder structure that you feel good about.

My guess is that if you go back much later to re-process the file for any reason it would likely be for something importantly different in which case if would probably mean recreating the outputs anew for the revision.

On the other hand the older versions may also become obsolete (in effect) as technology and commerce moves on and print provider services come and go .... so there may well be multiple ways to look at this with no way to be 100% certain that one approach will continue to be evidently better than another.

C1 has a lot of flexibility for people to develop according to their preferences, in my opinion.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration