Moving Photos from From One Catalog to Another

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Moving Photos from From One Catalog to Another

Postby MTMStudios » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:46 am

Hi All,

I'm organizing/updating my catalogs and need to move photos to new catalogs. How do I do this and retain all of their settings, processing, star ratings, etc?

Thanks,
Matt
MTMStudios

Re: Moving Photos from From One Catalog to Another

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:01 am

You can export any collection in your CO8 catalog as a new CO8 catalog. In addition, you can import one CO catalog into to another CO8 catalog. CO7 is fairly limited in this respect.

More details to be found here: http://imagealchemist.net/catalogs-in-depth-part-1/

Of course, all adjustments are migrated.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby MTMStudios » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks Paul. If I were to upgrade to Pro 8 would it make any difference? I'm planning on upgrading anyway once the new catalogs are finished.

For clarification, lets say I have 3 different catalogs ('Fashion', 'Beauty', 'Commercial') each with many folders in them from different shoots, but I want to migrate them all into one catalog by year ('2014'). If I export one catalog to another (say, 'Fashion' to '2014'), can I also migrate the 'Beauty' and 'Commercial' catalogs into '2014' as well with all settings included? I just want every shoot I've ever done organized into catalogs by year now (I can make collections for different categories of shoots inside each catalog). It seems like exporting to a new catalog creates another new catalog each time, which I don't want, rather just several catalogs migrated to one. Is this possible?

Thanks again.
MTMStudios

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:55 pm

MTMStudios wrote:Thanks Paul. If I were to upgrade to Pro 8 would it make any difference? I'm planning on upgrading anyway once the new catalogs are finished.

Maybe it makes more sense to upgrade to CO8 *before* you start migrating to the new catalogs. I mean, with your description below, you need CO8 to achieve that.
MTMStudios wrote:For clarification, lets say I have 3 different catalogs ('Fashion', 'Beauty', 'Commercial') each with many folders in them from different shoots, but I want to migrate them all into one catalog by year ('2014'). If I export one catalog to another (say, 'Fashion' to '2014'), can I also migrate the 'Beauty' and 'Commercial' catalogs into '2014' as well with all settings included?

Yes.
MTMStudios wrote:I just want every shoot I've ever done organized into catalogs by year now (I can make collections for different categories of shoots inside each catalog). It seems like exporting to a new catalog creates another new catalog each time, which I don't want, rather just several catalogs migrated to one. Is this possible?

To summarize the process in steps: 1) export to new catalog; 2) import the new catalog in your year catalog; 3) discard the new catalog (not needed anymore). So you won't end with unnecessary catalogs.

Note that you can experiment with this in the CO8 trial (30-day) with your existing catalog without affecting them. Try is safe and free! And for buying contact an Ambassador (see below). ;-)
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby MTMStudios » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks Paul, I've just upgraded to Pro 8 now and will give this a shot. Sounds easy enough, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
M
MTMStudios

Postby MTMStudios » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Done and dusted. With Pro 8's new features it took about 3 clicks to import a ton of images into a new catalog. Thanks for the help and advice, Paul.

Best,
Matt
MTMStudios

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:50 am

MTMStudios wrote:Done and dusted. With Pro 8's new features it took about 3 clicks to import a ton of images into a new catalog. Thanks for the help and advice, Paul.

Great to hear Matt. Phase One did add the features for a reason. :lol:
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 7.x Software