Capture one pro 7 preview different from output file

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Capture one pro 7 preview different from output file

Postby NNN635642665648240406 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:57 am

Hi everyone, I´m new here, and sorry if the thread came already up a few times.
I´ve searched the web, and didn´t find any matches for same problem, but maybe i´m doing smth. wrong.

my Edited prefiew doesn´t match the output file by any means. especially in terms of vivid colors.
I´m shooting falce color IR, so the color depth is much more in foreground than usual.

Ifigured that the problem might be within the color space. which color space does the Preview using, are there any ways to save it exactly as i see it in the editor screen, or how do i convert it into adobe RGB1998 without much losses.

I already tried to turn the Sharpening off and play with noice reduction - no wisible difference after saving the file.

Tried different Formats and color spaces - although no results, adobeRGB1998 on 16 bit tiff gives the nearest result, exept the Yellow Vividness and color span. The color information and range is although much smaller in the output than in the preview file, so i can´t just boost it in photoshop via hue, or levels.

Thank you!
NNN635642665648240406

Re: Capture one pro 7 preview different from output file

Postby NNN635642665648240406 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:27 pm

anyone? i see that i´m not the only one with that problem. can someone at least explain, why is that hapenning?
NNN635642665648240406

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:32 pm

The key here is how you review the result, that is the output JPEG file. The problem you describe is rather common in the Windows world as few tools, outside the pro tools like Photoshop and CO8, are color managed, in contrast to the Mac world.

Problems starts arising when you output to a larger color space then sRGB. sRGB is always playing save, AdobeRGB 1998 is were problem starts. Color information is not properly interpreted when the color space is neglected and sRGB is assumed.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN635642665648240406 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:26 pm

but the output file is interpreted wrong even in Photoshop. Even by reopening it in Capture one shows a difference in the histogram, and shift in the color - that is what trubles me most.

The problem is, I´m an architect student, working on vizualization techniques, and large scale prints. so sRGB is to small for my needs.
Mac, is although a no go, since it doesn´t support half of my software, and lack performance of a mobile workstation.

I switched from Camera RAW to Capture One as a raw processing tool, since it gave much more control over the color and dynamic range, and much less work for my later working process in Photoshop/Illustrator/etc. Now you saying i have to guess, unless i´m working with with sRGB color space files, which will never happen.

are there other ways to solve this, or will there be a fix for that problem anytime soon?
NNN635642665648240406

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software