Nikon D800 auto adjust/correction when importing files

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Nikon D800 auto adjust/correction when importing files

Postby NNN635598222968624350 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:35 am

Hi!

I have tried to search for this issue, but I was not able to find similar problems. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me, because it is really annoying.

I have Nikon D800 and when I import files it automatically correct the image - probably curves, because it makes the image a lot darker and adds a lot of contrast. I have tried to check/uncheck the "Auto-adjust" and despite it makes a difference when the auto adjust was checked it was even worse as before. I have also tried uncheck everything in Adjustment - Auto Adjustment (WB, Exposure, HDR...), but even that does not help.

The process how it auto correct the images is - first it opens all files in folder and then it starts to apply these correction/adjustment image after images. It takes probably 1 second for each image this auto adjustment. So, you can imagine how long it takes when I import few hundred images.

To show what I am talking about I have made some screen shots. Before the adjustments, during adjustment and after adjustment.

Before the adjustment with selected image:
http://postimg.org/image/qrpphf7f9/

During the adjustments are made to images, see how much more contrasty and darker are the first one the Capture One already applied the auto adjustment:
http://postimg.org/image/w9iq15erj/

After the adjustment with selected image, see how much darker this image is compared to the image which was before the adjustment/auto correction:
http://postimg.org/image/4s19q7vmd/

Thanks for any kind of help, I really appreciate any ideas how to switch this off.
Last edited by NNN635598222968624350 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NNN635598222968624350

Re: Nikon D800 auto adjust/correction when importing files

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:56 am

The first and third links are to the same file - was this what you intended?

Have you checked the settings for Base Characteristics?

Do you have a Proof Profile active?

Do you have an Output Recipe active?

I cannot recall if this was the case with the last of the V7 releases but in V8 there are 2 ICC Profile options for the D800. The original one appears to be somewhat lighter than the second version for the default film curve - however I cannot be sure about that as I do not have a D800 NEF file to try it with so I am assuming the the difference I can see would also apply, more or less, to other RAW file types.

Some ideas to be looking at.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN635598222968624350 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:40 am

SFA wrote:The first and third links are to the same file - was this what you intended?

Have you checked the settings for Base Characteristics?

Do you have a Proof Profile active?

Do you have an Output Recipe active?

I cannot recall if this was the case with the last of the V7 releases but in V8 there are 2 ICC Profile options for the D800. The original one appears to be somewhat lighter than the second version for the default film curve - however I cannot be sure about that as I do not have a D800 NEF file to try it with so I am assuming the the difference I can see would also apply, more or less, to other RAW file types.

Some ideas to be looking at.

Grant

You are right, sorry. I have replaced the first file with the file before the auto adjustment takes place.

I am really new to Capture one...maybe not new, but was not using it, because of this problem. I have tried Capture One many times, but always stopped using, because of this problem. So, I have everything in default and still makes this mess.

Base Characteristics - Nikon D800 Generic V2 - Film standard (tried every setting, nothing works)

Proof profile - Selected Recipe (default)

Output Recipe active - I do not know, if I have it active or not I can not find information about this

Here I am sending one D800 file through dropbox. With one file you will not be able to see how it changes the images gradually, but after you click on Import, then you have to watch carefully the preview and you will see it changes the contrast and also the brightness.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2eyfg290a6t ... vMO8a?dl=0
NNN635598222968624350

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Most interesting.

I am using Capture One V8.1.1 to work with this image.

It's a but difficult to make direct comparisons as the sample NEF is extremely light - at the other end of the light scale compared to your earlier examples - so we might expect different adjustments.

When I import WITHOUT Auto adjustment on it looks just as it did when viewed after the download (not a surprise as I would expect to be seeing the embedded jpg preview.)

When open the file in a C1 session without importing it looks much the same. If I were to make a comparison at 100% I would expect to see detail differences but there is nothing as obvious as your posted examples.

If I apply the Auto Adjustments quite a lot of adjustments are made including a 1/2 stop exposure reduction and, in this case, some Brightness reduction. In all the Histogram moves from the right to the centre - which I think is what you would intend when exposing this image.

The default Base Characteristics here are D800 Generic V2 and Film Standard V2. The Profile seems to make little difference to this image - perhaps a slight colour variation. Film Standard V2 seems quite a bit lighter in the dark areas - only noticeable in the dark sections at each end of the foot board of the bed.

If I Import with auto adjustment on I get the same result as applying the Auto adjustment without importing - which is what I would expect.

When edits have been applied the browser thumbnail shows a small square with 3 horizontal lines in the bottom right hand corner. Oddly I don't see this in the screen grabs from you earlier post which is slightly unexpected unless no Auto Adjustment has been applied.

The same symbol is used in the Tool Tab selection menu and if selected will present an outline of the settings that have been adjusted - just which settings, not the values of the adjustments. This may give some clue as to where to look for the apparent problem. However if you are seeing the changes even though Auto Adjust is not set for import that seems strange.

The only other thing I can think of that might have a general effect would be the Proof Profile. However as that is a viewing setting it should affect all images displayed which you would see clearly when applying different settings for proofing purposes even when it is applied as part of the Process Recipe.

The only other thing I can think of is that the in camera jpg settings, used for embedded thumbnails, are making the initial browser views look much lighter than the images actually are in RAW data terms. This does not really show up in the dropbox posted light image sample but might be a factor for dark areas only. Just a thought. I don't have any knowledge of the D800 or indeed Nikon in general so I have no idea what in camera settings might be in play.

I will try to make some time later to see what happens if I open the image using V7. However for now you might wish to look at the Base Characteristics and experiment with the Profile (if you have 2 options) and the Film Curve settings. These settings are NOT understood as edit adjustments unless they are change from the defaults since they are required as part of the RAW file interpretation without which nothing can be displayed.

Also you may like to consider trying V8 as a comparison.

By the way - the way you describe the preview image changing after import suggests, if this applied when importing a small number of files, is not what I see. Opening a file in a session provides an instant update to the image after a very short processing pause. I don't think that seems likely to be a part of the problem you have but it might suggest that your system has, for whatever reason, some performance constraints that should be allowed for.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 7.x Software