Capture One 7 + Windows 8.1 64 bit+ Canon 5D Tethering?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Capture One 7 + Windows 8.1 64 bit+ Canon 5D Tethering?

Postby Charles1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Long time CO user here, with old camera new laptop. With apologies in advance, as I'm sure this has been discussed, but my search here has not revelaed an answer to me,
is it possible to shoot tethered from the old original Canon 5D into CO7 running on a new laptop with
windows 8.1 64 bit? As is now, it will not recognize the camera, but will recognize a Rebel 3Ti.

I've spent the last couple days trying to make it work, even trying to run EOS Utility
with a virtual XP machine. I know the problem with the Canon software is lack of a 64 bit driver,
but I have always been under the impression that CO had everything necessary within itself.

Am using usb cable that came with camera and have it set to PC Connect, not PTP.

TIA
Charles
Charles1

Re: Capture One 7 + Windows 8.1 64 bit+ Canon 5D Tethering?

Postby SFA » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi Charles,

As I recall there was mention that Canon have dropped tethering support from their Software Development Kit for some older models. The original 5D was mentioned. Early 1D models too as I recall.

I believe this also affects Canon's own recent software updates.

A web search would probably elicit more and wider information if you go on to seek advice about the options you may have available.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Re: Capture One 7 + Windows 8.1 64 bit + Canon 5D Tethering?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Grant is correct. For official tethering support of the Canon 5D (and the 1D/1Ds, 1D/1Ds mkII) you have to go back to CO Pro 5. An early version of CO6 might still work, but not guaranteed.

By the way, you can look up tether support in the software's release notes.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Charles1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks guys for taking the time.
Paul-the user's guide for v 5 only lists up through
windows 7-will it run on 8.1 64 bit?
(Looks like on the archive download page v6 is first w/64 bit version, so didn't know if 5.2 would install on Win 8.1 64 bit.)
I don't mind trying things at all, just trying to avoid as much wasted effort as possible!!
Thanks again, Charles
Charles1

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 pm

As you stated, CO5 is not supported on Win8 or 8.1. You could try this.

Another option I can recommend, is to create a virtual machine (VM). Not many users are familiar with this, so I might scare you, or confuse you. You run a computer on a computer, for example Win7 and run CO5 in that VM. The USB connection of your camera is connect to the VM and you can tether your 5D into CO5. After the shoot you move the images to your physical machine, your Win8.1 computer with CO8. Note that you do not have proper monitor calibration in a VM.

You need a computer minded person to set it up for you. It is technically the only or most elegant way to overcome compatibility issues, in my opinion.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Charles1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:30 am

Hi Paul-thanks for your help. I actually tried that a couple days ago following this link
https://tnvfotografie.wordpress.com/201 ... s-utility/

and successfully installed vm lite workstation
http://www.vmlite.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=166

and had a second desktop with windows xp running on it, and couldn't even get the eos utility to work under it.
as I said in my first post
>>>"I've spent the last couple days trying to make it work, even trying to run EOS Utility
with a virtual XP machine. I know the problem with the Canon software is lack of a 64 bit driver,
but I have always been under the impression that CO had everything necessary within itself."<<<

I have since uninstalled vmlite, but might be tempted to reinstall if you think I could install CO 5 on that.
Charles1

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi Charles,

Sorry I missed the VM part in your first post. Anyway, we are on the same page. I suggest to install vmlite again with XP and install CO5 (5.2.1 is the latest, IIRC). You can download it here:
http://www.phaseone.com/Downloads/Mater ... chive.aspx

Note that you can activate CO5 with your CO7 license key.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Charles1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Paul-thanks I'll give it a try. Before I do though, to be clear, does CO in any shape form or function require the 5d canon driver to be installed? Even when I had vm lite running, I could not get the driver to install.
Charles1

Postby Charles1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:12 am

Paul-I reinstalled vmlite and xp, then CO 5.2.1 in xp and still no go.
Then reinstalled EOS Utility and ostensibly the 5d driver in xp, all to no avail.
I say ostensibly because the installer says it installed correctly but it doesn't show up in device manager.
It does install a bunch of files in a canon 5d folder in the programs folder.

If I have the camera set to PTP communication, EOS Utility launches and tells me to change the com setting to
PC connect, and when I do that, EOS U looses contact with camera

When I plug the camera in I hear the twinkling sound sound and I can see the camera listed in Device Mgr in the Win 8.1
OS as Canon Camera with a yellow caution sign. but no description or driver listed.

FWIW. I have also been trying to get Lightroom to work as well with the same lack of results.
Charles1

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Charles,

I do not recall whether or not the WIA driver for WinXP was necessary, but it should not hurt. WIA driver 5.7.0 is what I see in the download area of the link below.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/c ... ndSoftware

Also, EOS Utility update 2.7.3 is best to be used for compatibility. Can be downloaded from the same link.
Of course, you do not need EOS Utility for tethering to CO5, but for troubleshooting it is fine.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Charles1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:32 am

Thanks again. will keep trying and will keep you posted.
CB
Charles1

Postby Charles1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:25 pm

VICTORY!! After a couple of days trying to tether 5 d to CO 5.2 running on VM Lite, I had the hunch that the problem was in the lack of USB connectivity, and research showed that to be a common problem with virtual machines in general. I finally found one that works-VMware Player 7 which is free for personal use. After installing XP 32 bit with VMware Player, I was able to easliy install EOS Utility and the Canon 5D driver, CO 5.2.1, and voila! it all works.

Thanks to all you nice people here for your help.
Charles1

Return to Capture One 7.x Software